Thread: Blast Custom

I started posting on Fritz Ferr's thread on the other forum, as we both were working on the same custom bike kit. Redneck Engineering manufactures a chassis kit for the Blast that is really cool, and makes a great starting point for your imagination. The ItsaBlast is designed to utilize the stock front end from handgrips to tire. You basically remove the front end from the backbone, then remove the drivetrain from the backbone. Problem for me is, I decided that this was a great starting point. I am replacing almost every piece of plastic on the Blast with metal parts. A stock Harley Fatboy fender was narrowed two inches, the mounting tabs removed, and lowered. The stock handlebars and controls were removed and replaced with beach bars and chrome controls and switches. The rear fender is currently being fabricated, as I started with a 250 tire-sized, 10-1/2" fender that goes from side to side of the swingarm. I am going to use the kit seat pan as a frame panel to mount things to, and will mount a Harley Police model saddle above it with the bmx-type seat shocks. And I didn't leave out the powerplant. First, I hated that stock electric choke. I replace the carb with a sportster carb with manual choke, then added a Dyna adjustable ignition, since the throttle position sensor was gone. I then replaced the plastic pushrod cover with chrome tubes (like on a big twin), got a 520cc overbore cylinder, had it and the head diamond cut, and the rocker cover chromed. I also glass beaded all the major components that were black crinkle finished, and re-shot them in silver crinkle.
    By the way, before anyone feels the need to comment, I am going to post pictures when the kids are willing to help. I am much better with wrenches than I am with this bleeping computer.
    Fritz, if you are checking in on this thread, sorry it took so long to get it going over here.\
    To the other forum Blast folks, I want to thank you for the information posted on that forum and brought over here. The ignition module settings were a big help, and I want to thank you for the help.
    Doc

Looking forward to seeing the progress you made.
    Raz

Rear turn signals (fender mounted) and tombstone tail light just went on, but I still have some sheetmetal repair to do. When it comes to welding sheetmetal, I am really good at burning holes in fenders. I awaint some brake line fittings to finish the front brake; they are due in on Monday. I'm not sure whether the foot controls or the seat mounts or the rear brake line is next.

Any pics? I have been considering what to do with my blast and love the reliability of it, just want to go a different frame route.

As soon as my wife shows me how to transplant pictures, I will post them here. The mutant frame I got from Redneck Engineering allows the use of a lot of stock pieces, like the entire front end. I have the front brakes done as well as everything with the exception of narrowing (more) the fatboy front fender that I am using. The polished stock Blast wheels are fantastic. I hope to mount the new rear fender this weekend. The next major fabrication is adapting the Harley Police model saddle to the Redneck frame, but that is probably just another weekend. Time and money are all it takes...

Welding up bracketry for the bmx bike-style shocks to the bottom of the Harley Police model saddle. Rinehart exhaust system will hopefully be here by the end of the week. Hoping to use the front pipe from a set of Rinehart Crossbacks. I'm waiting also for the three of the last 4 parts I should need to finish the rear brakes. I'm going to hate breaking this down for powdercoat and paint cause its starting to look really cool. I was even considering an electric turbo.

Completely worthless without pics