Thread: Brake switch problem - solved

Hey Everyone,
    My buddy and I were out for a ride and he mentioned my brake light wasn't coming on. Took a look and it was the brake switch. I didn't feel like ordering the part so I fixed it myself and here is what I did.

Cost = $0.00
    Bike:
    2004 xb12r (it also happens to be the same switch on a 2007 honda shadow and a 2008 triumph speed triple)
    Note:
    The switch is open when depressed, closed when not. In other words, the switch is closed when you squeeze the brake lever.

1. Removed switch. (Phillips head screwdriver)
    2. Gingerly drilled out the three contact points just enough to remove the housing. (1/8 drill bit)
    3. Separated top and bottom parts of the housing. (pocket knife)
    4. Cleaned all parts. Particularly the contacts with a pencil eraser. (rag, tweezers, number two pencil and a lot of patience)
    4a. Preliminary re-assembly for testing. (multimeter)
    5. To finalize re-assembly we used a soldering iron (carefully) to melt the plastic on the three areas where drilled.
    6. Re-installed.

You have to be very careful as the parts on the inside are exceptionally small and hard to work with. Pay very close attention to how they are assembled. I recommend working in a cardboard box or the like to reduce the risk of lost parts.
    I understand this is a simple, stupid fix but I thought it might help someone out. PM me if you have questions.
    Thanx,

Cool! Mine just started doing this over the weekend, only with the handbrake.

Going to try this out tonight.

I just ordered a new one from ASB last week and put it on. The part is cheap. $13 bucks.

Sak1782,
    Glad someone found this useful. Sorry I didn't think to take pictures as I was fixing it. Make sure you analyze the assembly once you take the housing off. The parts are small and you want to pay particularly close attention as to how it is put together. PM me if you have any questions.

Marko138,
    I just wanted to get this done quick (under 30 minutes) as I was going to be riding soon and didn't want to wait for the part or spend the money.

I actually waited to get mine, for whatever reason. I noticed the switch going bad last year. I hogged it out with some WD40 and it worked again briefly. Then it stopped working all together, so I just used my rear brake when someone was behind me. :D