Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 03 XB Engine Rattle/Knock

Alright, finally had a chance to tear out the motor and start breaking it down. Removing that engine was a pain the butt!

Went ahead and took apart the front cylinder and while I wasn't 100% sure what I was looking for I'm pretty sure this is the issue.

Slight scoring on the front of the piston head

But much worse on the back of it.

Same with the cylinder walls themselves. Decent scoring on the rear, deep enough to easily catch with a fingernail.

There is also some movement in both the rod and the piston head. I took some video, the majority of the movement is from the head itself

This 2nd video shows the head movement.

The loud noise is coming more from the head movement than the rod movement. I didn't try up or down, just side to side movement. Can there be play in the rod and still be ok? Or is this really bad?

its funny my buell is making the same exact sound.

thought it was the oil pump or clogged line.

i screened the oil, checked the oil filter no shavings.

i did compression test, its most likly bad/worn out crank and rods.

havnt got around to tear it apart, but after 80k plus drivin like i stole it every time i rode it lol who knows hahaha

( to be honest im surprised it lasted that long)

Checked the movement of the piston last night. No movement whatsoever up and down

After talking with squidbuellie, I think I've decided to go ahead and replace the piston and either hone or replace the cylinder. After that, get it all back together and do a oil pressure test.

My hope is that there isn't anything actually wrong, but maybe one of the prev. owners ran the bike with little to no oil and fudged things up

Anyone know where I can get just the piston head itself?

Thanks for the link Fock but I found some used cylinders/pistons

All pulled apart and waiting on parts. The rear cylinder was beat up a little too but not as bad as the front, my fingernail wasn't catching those grooves but I'll go ahead and replace it as well

Should all come in next week and should have it back together by the end of the week. I'll have to tear into the primary to see whats up with the shifting lever but that may just need the spring reattached. Then I'll do a oil pressure test and hopefully everything works out and she'll be good as new.

Ran into a few set backs. It took forever to scrap off the old base gasket, these things were baked on with the fires of hell. I even called several Harley dealerships to see what they would charge to remove them. I thought they might have some special tricks other than a razor blade but as usual, Harley wouldn't work on it due to it being Buell.

After days of scraping, I got it clear but in the process I put quite a bit of scratches in the aluminum. I will be putting in the Cometic gaskets from American Sport Bike and want to make sure I don't have a leak. I've read of people using gasket sealer (like this Permatex Aviation Sealer) but I'm not quite sure which brand/kind and also saw a FAQ on Cometic's that say MLS gaskets should be dry (?!)

Any advice on which sealer, if any? I don't want to get the engine all the way back in to find out I'm leaking and sure as hell don't want to deal with base gaskets ever again!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123