Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Voltage Regulator or Stator?

It's charging, but just not enough.

It's either charging weakly or intermittantly, and the stator test outlined in the manual would tell you if all the legs are ok. Weird, but maybe a VR?

OR theres a big intermittent draw while running:
    Maybe the fan in going out and causing a big draw?
    Some other accessory is drawing more than you think while running?

Banned
    The first thing I did is I performed stator and voltage regulator test and it was OK, I posted test results earlier in this thread. Both stator legs are OK. Today I measured current of the system with ignition on and engine off using clamp-on ammeter and it showed 5 Amps at low beam and 5.5 Amps at high beam on the main harness connected to the battery terminal. Is it OK? Another accessories connected to the battery terminal showed disparagingly small current comparing with the main harness. I did not have a chance yet to measure main harness current with working fan. Maybe the battery after one year of riding started this behavior because of vibrations?
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 04-08-2016 at 04:41 AM.

Ya, sorry TPEHAK. This thread is super old, and I didn't re-read it again before answering. The hardest part is you don't give direct answers to direct questions. You just give a description of whats happening currently. It makes it difficult to follow a diagnostic path.

So far your charging system tests good, and even charges good. I does seem just a little weak, but if I'm reading your posts correctly it seems intermittent, like the charging system is turning on and off, or theres a really big intermittent draw (that why I'd like you to test the fan).

When you are checking for a resting draw (I don't think thats an issue) you can't have the headlights on or you are just measuring what the headlights draw. 5 amps is fine for headlights. You can download ECMDroid to turn the fan on with your ammeter connected.

Yes, I'm afraid a year old battery on a Buell could be bad. Buells need a TON of cranking amps, and then they shake the crap out of the battery for it's whole life. It might just be good insurance to replace it with a nice one.

Banned
    Today I rode my motorcycle to a store, I parker it for 10 minutes, then I starter it again and the engine idle was very rough. I glanced on the voltage gauge and noticed the voltage is 11.7 volts. I twisted the throttle and there was no voltage response on the higher RPM. For me it looked like there in no connection between the charging system and the battery. So I started hurry back home before the battery will be totally dead. Also engine check light came on. In 10 minutes the battery voltage slowly dropped to 11.5 volts, all this time I rode there was no any charging and no voltage response on RPM. But in 10 minutes the charging had come back and I had come home with no issues.

At home I turned engine off and turned it on again. Then I started to wiggle the wires and the fuse box under the sit, the charging was OK. I wiggled the wires and connector under the left side air scoop, there was no any affecting on the charging. Then I twisted the throttle and charging disappeared again and voltage gauge showed 11.6 volts with no response on throttle anymore! I again started to wiggle the wires under the sit with no luck to trigger charging back. Then I twisted the throttle again and charging went back. Then I played again with throttle and wires and was not able to disappear charging.

For me it looks like there is bad connection somewhere or damaged wire. How can I check what exactly happened? Is it possible that it is bad voltage regulator?

Also I noticed the fuse box was hot. Is it normal?
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 10-23-2016 at 01:20 AM.

Ok. Sound like 'intermittent charging' is the winner.
    Fuse box being hot is NOT normal, but it's a clear sign of a bad connection.

Take it off and look underneath. Anything melted?

Your VR needs to be turned on to work. That's what the charging fuse does. Check that one closely.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by TPEHAK View Post
    Today I rode my motorcycle to a store, I parker it for 10 minutes, then I starter it again and the engine idle was very rough. I glanced on the voltage gauge and noticed the voltage is 11.7 volts. I twisted the throttle and there was no voltage response on the higher RPM. For me it looked like there in no connection between the charging system and the battery. So I started hurry back home before the battery will be totally dead. Also engine check light came on. In 10 minutes the battery voltage slowly dropped to 11.5 volts, all this time I rode there was no any charging and no voltage response on RPM. But in 10 minutes the charging had come back and I had come home with no issues.

At home I turned engine off and turned it on again. Then I started to wiggle the wires and the fuse box under the sit, the charging was OK. I wiggled the wires and connector under the left side air scoop, there was no any affecting on the charging. Then I twisted the throttle and charging disappeared again and voltage gauge showed 11.6 volts with no response on throttle anymore! I again started to wiggle the wires under the sit with no luck to trigger charging back. Then I twisted the throttle again and charging went back. Then I played again with throttle and wires and was not able to disappear charging.

For me it looks like there is bad connection somewhere or damaged wire. How can I check what exactly happened? Is it possible that it is bad voltage regulator?

Also I noticed the fuse box was hot. Is it normal?
    all your symptoms covered in this older thread. go to first post on page 2 from rays in OZ.....covers your ailments precisely. the fusebox should NEVER be hot. the heat is generated via one or more of the relays. clear indication of faulty connections. your CEL activated via code #16. it may or may not be permanently stored in the CEL. if permanently it should be cleared after repairs to fusebox assembly made.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthr...rheating/page2

Some of my finds may or may not help , internally broken battery posts, and the internals of the connector from the vr. Wiggle test didnt change any voltage, but when I cut the connector out and wired it straight I never had anymore low voltage. Of course listen to guys above they got good advice

Banned
    Would it be enough just remove the fuses and the relays, spray electronic or contact cleaner in the fuse box contacts and plug back new fuses and new relays?

I suppose it is safe to say it shouldn't do any harm to try that and you never know your luck in the big city.
    However, if I had those symptoms I wouldn't ride it any further than I was prepared to push it / trailer it back.

If you do remove the relays look very carefully at the relay block for any signs of overheating similar to this:

Melted Relay socket_1.jpg

If you do then you are beyond contact cleaner and you will need to dig deeper - almost certainly a female socket replacement required to make a reliable repair if it has been cooked this badly.

Banned
    I inspected my fuse box, all connectors look perfect on the top and on the bottom

Cleaned them with contact cleaner and installed new fuses and relays

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast