Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High octane...always???

Hi, I'm new to this particular forum and was wondering somehting: My owner's manuel says my 2004 Buell xb12S does best on 91 octane. Problem is, I can't find 91 ANYWHERE!!! So how about using something like 94 octane....is that ok? All replies are welcome,thanks!

Yep 94 is fine. The higher octane fuels typically have more cleaners in them. Im guessing they recommend higher octane because chances of fouling things are less with better fuel.

around boston 92 is the highest you can find...where you getting 94 oct

i've seen 97 at one point in NH about 2 years ago. but i have not seen it since.
    i can just imagine the price of that now a gallon.

Administrator
    My local dealer says to use the highest octane you can find, but I've also been told not to exceed 91 octane fuel. I think it has something to do with how your motorcycle is tuned. If you get a high-flow air cleaner you could probably do well with 93+ octane. If I had the race kit I would stay at 93+. I know there is a science to it, but I'm not qualified to say much more. I would like to hear the overall consensus as well. Any pros out there? What it is BPG?

theres no power gain or loss with higher octane...alot has to do with motor temps and timing....buells run hot and higher octane has a slower burn or more controlled burn to help with timing to controll engine knock...if you want to burn a house down use low actane gas it burns faster and hotter

Cool cool, I did fill up today and managed to sqeeze out the $3.89 a gallon price for what was 93 octane, and I have noticed no difference in performance as of yet. Good thing I ride a bike;) Thanks for the replies any more would be very helpful

Administrator
    Wow. $3.89 per gallon? Premium is about $3 around here. Are you in California Leathercash? Buell has a lot of unique engineering as compared with other motorcycle companies. I wonder if any motorcycle company will every have the balls to make an electric bike?? Does anyone remember the Saturn EV1. That car had a 3.6 second zero to 60 mph. It was all electric. I bet the same smooth, clean power could be used on a motorcycle. I don't know, but I bet Buell could find a way to make it cool.

Maybebuell.. about the 'no power gain with higher octane'. I've always known for higher octanes to produce more power. Consider a fuel like 110 for racing or 113. I always assumed that the higher octance implied hotter more powerful explosion thus more power. Maybe assuming is the prblm. Please edumacate me on this as I have no expertise in this subject or any other for that matter.

Higher octane doesnt make more power it allows you to run higher compression in your engine which makes more power. The higher the octane the higher the compression ratio you can use without detonation or pinging. Race engines running without a blower or turbo will be from 11:1 to 14:1 which would destroy pistons if you tried to run on a lower octane gas.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast