Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: High octane...always???

Most high octane fuels around me are for racing and contain lead. Im not for sure but I think its anything over 102 has lead.(maybe its 110 I cant remember) But I do know that higher octane contains more detergents = cleaner for your motor, less varnish and gum buildup, cleaner injectors. Also my old car was a 2000 Toyota Celica and right on the gas cap it said no less than 91 octane. I wonder if the car not having a fuel filter had anything to do with it. Do our Buells have fuel filters? If they do I havent seen one and I've had most of the bike apart.

pretty much what baham said...to motors the same size one at 9.1 and one a 12.1....12.1 will run hotter air gas mixture will be compressed more to a point it wants to ignite without a spark from pressure and heet from top of piston...octane slowes it down till its time to burn at the right time,,usually when the spark plug ignite..timing....

Mrdozer2you, we do have fuel filters, however they are never required service or replacing, they are permanent I believe.

Leathercash -- use nothing but premium high octane fuel in your engine. Higher octane fuels burn slower than lower octane. Lower octane fuels burn extremely fast and create abnormally high cylinder pressures which can, and WILL, crack (or blow a hole in) your piston. The fuel mixture ignites BTDC and requires a certain amount of "burn" time. High octane fuels are most definitely required in higher compression engines because it is so tightly compacted on the compression stroke. Once ignited (BTDC), it needs to release its energy (controlled explosion) on the downward stroke (aka, power stroke) for maximum power. If it is burned too quickly, detonation will grenade your engine. There is no particular benefit from running a much higher octane (i.e., 110 octane race fuel), but there are severe consequences from running an octane rating too low.

Hey folks im riding a 2000 X1,I have always run 110 racing fuel,dont have a problem getting it other than the $7 a gallon price.it smells good burning also.
    Mine will cough at the light also,or act like it is loading up.
    Im getting some oil residue in the intake pipe.Any ideas.im running the racing module and vance and hines exhaust,

fuel....smuel..... for the amount of gas buells hold....sacreligious to run anything than the best you can get. Even at today's prices still only about 10-12 bucks to fill. Here in the north, Sunoco has 94 octane....the bike loves eatin that.....

Just a quick note on high octane fuels. High octane fuels tend to sit in the providers tanks longer than the regular or low octane gas. The chemicals that increase the octane and the other cleaners tend to become unstable in as little as 3 weeks. Sometime that unstable older fuel has can account for a "bad tank of gas". the reason I bring this up is that my XB9 will tolerate the regular stuff pretty well. actually really well. I have been regularly running it with ambient high temperatures in the low 90s. I think that if it was any hotter I would have to run the slower burning fuels though... BTW the thing about the bad premium gas was from a motorcycle web page--I'll get the URL for all to read on Monday.

Sorry it took me so long to get the link. The article is a bit preachy but offers another aspect on gasoline.

Great Article!!

I used to run 108 octane in my Sportster back in the early '90s and it did run very well. it did have lead but my understanding was always if you had a catalytic converter you couldn't run leaded fuel but with out the catalyst you could. The problem was an older car (like my 1970 T/A Challenger 340 Six Pack) needed leaded fuel because it did not have hardened valve seats and the newer fuels destroyed them unless you fitted the hardened seats. At around 50 MPG run the best fuel you can. just ask LeFox what they are paying for gas across the pond and you'll be happy paying $3.50 per gallon.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast