Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: High octane...always???

hey m....orange...what's the octane of your regular?
    And.....what are the symptoms of a "bad tank of gas"?

I run sunoco 94 maybe 90% of the time......depending on my location when runnin low. And just this week...couldn't get the damn thing to idle right...you'd set it after a long run only to find next morning either revin higher or not enough....weird.....maybe i'll try a lower pump gas that i know moves faster at the station. Stayed tuned.

btw...anyone check out "pulley swap"?
    give a tid bit on changing the final drives. Would love to hear from someone with a Baker 6 spd. I'm done.

Around Oklahoma City regular is 87ish. I do notice a off idle knock every once and a while on a hot day. Other than that my other choice is 91 for premium but with the cooler weather coming I will still try the cheep stuff.

I have an old Mustang with a 302 that is a touch over 10:1 compression. It had a tank of gas that was Euro 95 (RON) which I think that converts to 91 US octane. Anyway it sat for about a year and when I started it it would drive but Idle was crap, acceleration was not very good either. There was other factors as well with the car but the #1 was probably the stinky old gas.

I wish I could find 94 around here. My Mustang sure could use it.

Sunoco usually has 94....Try BP they have 93.

I have rebel gas stations here in Vegas and one or two of them have race 100 fuel....i'm gonna guess thats 100 octane...(not gone in to ask yet) but i'm also guessing that would be ok to run as well....????

MrOrange - That was a great article, have you taken its advice and switched to regular and if so have you noticed any difference? I never really thought about the fact that high octane gas is rarely ever used (especially in the UK) and sits in the underground tanks in the gas station decreasing it performance.

I have been especially now that gas is now over 3.25 a gal of 92 octane. It much cooler here in Oklahoma city area now and my XB9 has had no issues running the regular. I don't think I could of gotten away with it when I was in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago. Temps there were still in the high 90 so I ran 92+ octane. I lived in the UK for 8 year and remember paying 90 to 99 pence per liter which is a far cry of what I'm paying now in Oklahoma.

I'm not trying to seem like an ass here guys, but the $0.15 difference between regular and premium shouldn't be this big of a deal. I would rather have the octane for my engine rather than the extra dollar in my pocket after a fill up. Come on guys, you are only buying at most 4.4 gallons. So you are only shelling out about $0.60 more just to put premium in. Does $0.60 really break your bank?

I see what you're saying BPG and I agree, but from reading that article it sounds like by using higher octane fuel I could be doing more harm than good. That's my concern not the price.

How would higher octane do harm to an engine that is designed for it?

Read the article

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast