Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blast Tachometer and Shift/gear indicator?

Hi all!
    My girlfriend got an interest to ride her own so we looked at a blast and she loved it so now we own a 2008 blast. After riding it around myself for awhile these little bikes are fun!

Anywho right now we are limited to tearing up parking lots and dead end roads while i get her comfortable riding a bit until she takes the MSF course and gets her license. She never rode a motorcycle before this and she is having difficulty understanding shifting. I think if she had a tach and even a shift or gear indicator it would benefit her learn... hell i'd like it too! Does anyone know of anything that works well with the blasts? I'm having little luck locating anything.

Thanks everyone!

Tach is somewhat easy, but gear indicator is something I am unfamiliar with.

Pretty much any tach that will work with a single cylinder engine. Make sure it says that its compatible from 1-12 cylinders (thats how they usually label it). I found that the Equus are the easiest to find, and look decent.

http://www.iequus.com/Product/Gauges/

I believe models 6068, 7068, 8068, and 8080 will work.

Without an aftermarket ignition you will have to install it via the spark plug wire. You will also have to find a mounting point.

Here is what the black 6068 looks on my bike:

I run this one from glow shift tach

Works great, the different color led's are kinda neat. I got power from the head light and the tach signal from the pink wire going to the coil.

I run this one from glow shift tach

Works great, the different color led's are kinda neat. I got power from the head light and the tach signal from the pink wire going to the coil.
    What ignition are you running and what did you end up using to mount it?

I need to get rid of my TTO, and get a real one!

Thanks!

Stock ignition. I used a piece of U channel aluminum with holes drilled to match the speedometer screws and to match the studs for the tach. That was the first mount for it. I later cut a pice of sheet aluminum that attaches to the same speedometer bolts that attaches the tach and wide band o2 sensor on opposite sides of the speedometer. I'll take some pictures later and post them.

Pierce, do you have any more pics of your bike? I really like the fairing.

Cool thanks for the recommendation Pierce! I'll do some more research on those. Not sure where i could mount one though.

I came across GIpro digital gear indicators and i'm not mechanically savvy enough to know if this would work on a blast or not. Putting in the bike info in their little bike configuration it came back with this set to get... which is "universal". Anyone had any experience with this?

GIPRO-X-WH + GPX-WSS

http://www.xtsportbikeaccessories.com/GIproX.html

Not sure on the gear indicator. Looks like it might though. Would be interested in hearing about the results.

I think there is a somewhat easy what of mounting an M2 dash on the blast which would fit both the tach and the speedo. Check around it can't be that expensive, or hard to mount.

Yeah if i knew it is compatible i would buy it and definitely do a write up... or just be on here begging for help most likely... :)

Thanks EZ! i guess if i did get a tach do you have any good recommendations on where to put it? im not sure of a good spot to mount it without it getting in the way of something else...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast