Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Finding" Neutral issue

SO my baby is back together. BUT a couple things concern me.

The less concerning: Shifting sounds hollow.?. I remember the usual clunk in first but I still hear the hollow-ish click into second. I may be over reacting but wasn't sure if it meant anything. There is fluid in the primary.

Second: I've only rode it a couple of times a few miles to make sure everything was running well. When I got home and tried to put it into neutral, I couldn't find it according to the light. (The light wouldn't come on). Also as soon as I let the clutch out, the bike died, as if I had it in gear and the kick stand was down. (neither were the case.) Today I rode it to work (just a few miles from home), got to work and the same thing happened. The neutral light wasn't even flickering as if I was passing it. When I turned the bike off, and tried to find neutral, the light started flickering and I found it.

I hadn't noticed if it was working during the ride cause I never stopped.

My gauge was pretty beat up from the accident in September and I just got a replacement and swapped the guts (thinking the one I bought was for a 12s and mine is a 9s, I thought there would be an issue there).

I also replaced the neutral switch a couple of years ago.

I recently put on the 5-0Dro pulley cover, could I have pinched the wire back there or something?

I haven't had time to look at it yet, so I'm just throwing out ideas.

Anyone else have any clues?

Thanks

Did you put oil in the transmission or at least check the fluid level? Can you put the bike in neutral even though the dash isn't indicating as such?

Check the primary(transmission) fluid level first, even if you know there's fluid in it. Bike is to be upright, not on side stand to be filled to the proper level. Basically, fill to right before it comes out the cover opening.

I rode her again tonight. When I turn her on, the light is on, I can start the bike without holding in the clutch and the kickstand down.

After a 30 minute ride, the light wouldn't come on, the kick stand cut the bike off, starting it back up requires the clutch to be pulled in.

The bike sat for 1 hour. the pattern continues... Light on, yadda yadda yadda, discuss.

What year is it. 2003 I think had a kickstand switch. If u have that id get rid of it or bypass it or upgrade ti the latest stand. Not sure about clitch

It is an 2003. What upgrade are you talking about?

Well for one getting rid of the kickstand switch is a plus. I think they are notorious for problems. Later i think around 08 they changed the stand again because they were failing. They sell an upgrade kit but its expensive. You can buy the just the upgraded pin and modify a regular stand(post 03) for cheap.

So can you not find neutral because the tranny wont let you shift into it? or is it just the light?

Side note (trying not thread jack) what years had a kickstand switch? my 05 doesn't shut down if the kickstand is down and i shift into 1st

my 05 doesn't shut down if the kickstand is down and I shift into 1st
    Would this be due to you having the clutch pulled in. If I'm not mistaken mine will if he clutch lever is pulled in. I'm gonna have to check it now just to know;)

I think just 03 had the kickstand switch, let someone else verify though.

My 05 will shut down under any scenario I believe (clutch in or out, in gear or out of gear, kickstand down or up).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast