Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Finding" Neutral issue

According to the light, I'm not in neutral...
    After a 30 minute ride, the light wouldn't come on, the kick stand cut the bike off, starting it back up requires the clutch to be pulled in.
    Neither the kickstand thing or holding the clutch in is normal.

Could it be the switch again? I replaced it cause the light wasn't coming on, none of the other stuff happened before.

Yea the switch was only on the 03. Then upgraded pin in 07. All they did was drill the threads out and use the pin straight through instead of pin into threaded nut. The bolts would shear off at the thread then the kickstand would break away and drop your bike

If it truely won't go into N(as in not an electrical problem) you may check and/or adjust the primary chain tension. This will effect finding N when hot and running.

^ that. I'd wager the primary chain is to tight.

What would cause the primary chain to tighten or loosen? I'll be able to look at it tonight and give an update.

It will always change tension due to normal wear. Usually they get loose over time, but heat causes everything to expand which could cause it to tighten when running.

So today has been the first day to ride since adjusting the Primary Chain. Good god what a difference. The chain was real loose, which I'm guessing caused the clunking noise, the hollow shifting sound, the neutral light issue when warm and everything else.

The issue showed up the first time after a 5 minute ride around the block. I rode for about ten minutes today and nothing. It feels like it's shifting real smoothly. I'll go for an extended ride after work to see if the problem comes back.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Well I was wrong. It's still there. Does anyone thing the gauge cluster could cause this? I feel like it maybe electrical.

I dont think it would... Maybe check your clutch cable...may need adjusting? it may not be actuating enough to fluidly switch gears when riding. I have run into this problem on my 1125 when my clutch fluid was weeping (i know, mine is a hydraulic clutch system which is different). As my fluid got low, it was noticably harder to get from one gear to another, and finding neutral was damn near impossible while the bike was running. Since you dont have a hydraulic clutch, I'd think you may be able to get the same issue if your clutch cable was loose or something...

Where / how do I disconnect the neutral safety switch?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast