Thread: Intermittent Charging System Issue

Went for a ride last Sunday on my 07TT, it started right up and ran great. After about 50 miles I stopped for gas. After refueling it would not start. The engine would not turn over, the solenoid clicked and lights in the instrument cluster were dim.

Checked battery voltage after getting it home. It was about 10.9 VDC. I have a battery charger with a high output starting feature for vehicles with a dead battery. When I put it on the bike, it started instantly and ran good. The battery is new this year from HD.

Charged the battery with a trickle charger and on Friday did a little troubleshooting. The three stator windings are not shorted to ground. The stator windings are supposed to have a resistance of between 0.1 to 0.3 Ohms. My cheep digital ohm meter went to 0 Ohms. Did the dynamic test with the engine running at 2000 RPM. Each winding put out about 34 VAC which is where it should be. I’m guessing the stator is OK.

Inspected the #77 voltage regulator connector and the #46 stator connector. Both connectors looked fine. There was no moisture, no corrosion and no signs of arcing in either. Insulation on the wires coming from the #77 connector to the battery were a little stiff indicating possible heat build up from high current flow. Additionally there was a small spot inside the connector where it looked like it may have melted from heat build up.

Connected everything back together, put a digital voltmeter across the battery and started the bike. Voltage was around 12.5 VDC at idle and went up to about 13.9 VDC at around 2500 RPM. Now it seems to be charging normally.

It appears I have an intermittent charging issue. Does anyone know which would be the most likely suspect, (Stator or Voltage Regulator)?

What is the likelihood that a heavy load from a dynamic load test would cause the intermittent component to fail completely? I’m really hesitant to take it to the nitwits at the local dealership for a dynamic load test.

regulators go out more often.maybe you had a bad connection.

Thanks anrkizm. I made a quick search and found all the ground connections clean and tight. Terminals inside both connectors were also dry and clean. Both halves of the connectors were fully engaged and locked tight. Based on observation I have to conclude that there probably isn’t a loose connection.

Question: I’m guessing the voltage regulator is a solid state device. Is it possible for it to act intermittently? Can some of the components be breaking down due to heat, after the bike has been running for awhile?

Question: I’m guessing the voltage regulator is a solid state device. Is it possible for it to act intermittently? Can some of the components be breaking down due to heat, after the bike has been running for awhile?
    yes and yes

What about the stator. Can it fail intermittently? Is it also subject to thermal breakdown?

yes it can but the regulators fail at least 20 to 1 over the stators.

Found the problem. Slightly melted plastic next to the +12 metal connector in the 77 connector killed the VR. The new VR has a Deutch connector instead of the 77 connector.

Bike runs and charges great. Also installed a Kuryakyn LED volt meter inside the right had guard to monitor battery voltage.

Thanks for your input anrkizm95