Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is wrong with my bike?..video attached

2008-2010 models have automatic, electronically controlled idle. You can not change it.

Try checking the throttle body for a small rubber plug on a vacuum fitting near the front cylinder, make sure it is not cracked or leaking.

Also, you can remove the IAC module from the throttle body and clean the pintle and throttle body. The is the unit that controls airflow to the engine for proper idle.

Remove your airbox cover, the big plastic piece where the fuel tank is traditionally, remove airbox base plate and aircleaner.

Remove headlamp fuse and start bike in garage, allow bike to reach full operating temp and visually inspect the ignition area for blue arcs.

If possible, when bike starts missing and dropping idle, remove plug wire from coil for each cylinder and note any changes. If the ignition appears to be working fine, move over to fuel injectors, unplugging them is alittle more fun.

I'm having problems with my '08 Lightning, which i believe is a fuel injector issue. Idle is fine but off idle blips produce black smoke and popping through muffler along with backfires through intake.

Oh, and yes, Your spark plugs indicate a rich running condition, slighty rich, nothing excessive.

Take a video of pitch black idling if you have a light show for others to observe.

Your plugs look fine. I would change over to iridiums and then do a TPS reset. It is possible you are arching a spark plug wire but it actually sounds like it might be a fueling issue. Good luck and keep us posted. In total darkness you might see the spark plug wires arc. You will have to remove the seat and some other stuff in the way perhaps but it would rule that out.

BR

generally, hot ignition issues indicate coil going out, almost all other firing problems are not temperature dependent, air leaks, plugs, fueling. I would almost guarantee it is the coil pack on its way out

/\ agree. Low engine speed + warm engine. Would definetly cause a failing electronic part to act up(if there is one). It does appear to be firing on both cyclinders nearly all of the time judging by the plugs.

Maybe, i know this ones far fetched, but hear me out... u have a slightly plugged injector or line to the injector. that is only noticeable @ idle @ high engine temp when the least amount of fuel would be allowed out of the injector. thats prolly not it im just trying to consider fueling issues.

Finally fixed it....

Throttle position sensor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123