Thread: 2000 Blast will not start

Sounded like battery was out so jump started the bike. It started the engine but then after riding couple miles it died again. It sounded like it was about to explode! Just recently bought the bike. It's 2000 but has only 3800 miles. My guess is previous 2 owners had it sitting in garage more than riding. Battery is supposedly new. Looks new as well. According to the previous owner, oil was last changed last year... so that could be part of the problem. Currently on a tow truck to the local shop to have them check. You guys ever heard of this? know any estimation on what it may be and how much it may cost to fix??

Can you explain in more detail about the "sounded like it was about to explode" ?

Maybe backfire from a fouled plug?

Did you jump it from a running car? If so, bad news.

yes and no. Initially I was able to jump start without starting the car. But it died again after riding a mile or two, then jump started while the car was running because it wouldn't start anymore :/ It started fine then until it stopped again after another about a mile of riding.
    As far as explosion, it was loud sputtering noise. Bad carb? dirty oil?

Unfortunately you probably fried your battery, maybe your regulator? Your charging system might be shot. In the best case scenario you just fried the battery.

You live, you learn. Never jump a motorcycle with a running car. Use the smallest car battery you can possibly find and jump it without the car being on. However, I never jump a motorcycle, instead just use a trickle charger.

Thanks for a good tip. But since the problem started even before jump starting I have a feeling it's more than just battery or what I did to revive it. I'll find out next week! ::crossing my fingers::