, times, parking, weeks, rediculous, crazy, reason, burning, ulysses, father, louis, gateway, harley, buell, dealer, taking, local, harley/buell, telling" /> 2008 XB12XT Headlights burn out ALL THE TIME! HELP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 XB12XT Headlights burn out ALL THE TIME! HELP!

My Father owns a 2008 Ulysses XB12XT and for some CRAZY REDICULOUS WILD REASON.... the headlights keep burning out. we have been taking it to the our local Harley/Buell dealer here in st. louis, Gateway Harley Buell, and they keep telling me that they legitimately don't have any idea why its happening.

sometimes it will last a couple weeks,
    other times, they'll burn out right out of the parking lot.

can someone shed some light on this for me???

My guess would be the stator or maybe voltage regulator.

i've read some things about that.... hmmm. how could i check the voltage regulator? or is it a 'buy a new one and see if its better' kinda thing?

My bike (07 stt) was doing that till I changed the voltage regulator and put the new connector on. Had to ride home in the dark a couple times, a little scary only being able to see a small bit of the road ever couple seconds as the blinker blinked.

this connector you speak of... is it the '77' connector that people are talking about? what is that exactly?

Yes the 77 connector. When you change the regulator out it is the big connector that plugs the regulator into the stator i believe. I believe the new style connector came with my new regulator but I'm not 100% on that.

Your bulbs probably are popping because of excessive voltage surging through them. Check your stator first, then your voltage regulator. On my '07 Uly I put one of these VR's because that was what was bad on my bike when the bulbs were burning out (when you install it you bypass the 77 connector):
    MOSFET Regulator

The website has instructions for checking your stator also. I'm not sure if the Shindengen MOSFET VR is compatible with your bike, but if it is I recommend it ... it's much better than the stock one and about the same price.

I also put one of these cool little gizmo's on my Uly:
    voltage gauge It's very small, but provides a lot of information about what's going on with your charging system.

Inactive
    99% of the time it is the regulator/rectifier assembly. for the price of a pair of bulbs you can almost buy a new reg/rect via ebay or any of the aftermarket v-twin type suppliers. at 2500rpm with a healthy battery, about 14.2 volts DC max is all you want to see at the battery terminals, give or take a tenth of a volt or 2.

@lunaticfringe

thanks man! the regulator is ordered! should be in thursday and hopefully we'll be done with this crazy problem for a WHIIIIIIIIIILE!

thanks for all the help guys!

Inactive
    yes sir, you're quite welcome. that should solve the problem for you. and you know it's down by the oil cooler...same bracket area...and plug for it behind front sprocket cover. just thought i'd throw that in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast