Thread: Oil pressure light

Hello all,

I have been an owner of my 2005 Buell XB9SX for about a month. I bought it with a little over 9k on it. I installed a Jardine exhaust and have yet to tune the ECM or buy the pretuned one from EBR. After installing the pipe I rode it past 10k and then had it serviced by a shop. I had not noticed it running hotter than before with the Jardine pipe. The shop had told me the plugs looked normal and that they didn't seem to think I needed an upgraded ECM because the stock ECM is self adjusting. The only noticeable difference is the popping on deceleration. Which honestly doesn't bug me at all.

The previous owner used the bike more as a garage decoration it seemed. He had told me that he used non-synthetic oil in the swing arm and synthetic in the primary. The shop that serviced it insisted on doing non-synthetic in both. After the service it seemed that the clutch didn't grab the same way as before but I could be imagining things. They also had mentioned that the fuel pump was louder than normal but that it was working fine. When I turn the key on it makes the whine and then after the engine light turns off I fire it up. Now when I fire it up you can hear the fuel pump over the exhaust which seems to be getting louder. When you take it for a good ride and let it idle you can't hear the fuel pump. Since it has been louder it seems to be surging power when cruising at around 4,000 RPM. Also once again I could be just noticing it more now. I have read that the Jardine pipe can cause that issue.

Tonight I was on a ride and coming down a steep grade in 2nd without touching the gas. I had looked down and saw that the oil pressure light had come on. I did a double take and looked down again and then it turned off. From what I could tell there was no difference in engine noise or heat. That was the first time in 1500 miles that I have owned that the light had been on.

I'm wondering if that was just a fluke scenario or if possibly the oil isn't being cooled or circulated correctly. I had just read a post on here where a guy was having his oil light come on and it ended up being caused by the fuel pump.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I also would like some guidance regarding tuning.

So the issue turned out to be that I had rubbed a hole through one of the oil lines. I had to order two new oil lines, the Feed and Return. HD charged $80 each. I had routed them in between the Jardine muffler and the bottom of the motor. Apparently I need to route them outside of the bracket to avoid any more issues.