, relay, fuses, switch, guess" /> Fuel pump test

Thread: Fuel pump test

Hey all,

How can I test if the fuel pump is any good? I dont hear anything when I flip the switch, but could it also be the relay. All the fuses are good... I guess either way I have to do parts take down, just dont want to buy parts just because thats what I think it is... Thanks in advance!

...but could it also be the relay.
    Yes just swap them around and see if the pump kicks on. If it doesn't, I'd start with tracing wires in the harnass all the way to the pump & check for voltage. Probably just a relay though.

Ok, this would be my first time doing anything to the bike myself, and im not exactly a wrench monkey... Do I have to take the engine down to do this or are there any schematics or manuals I can look at?1... Thanks for the reply

Davvil welcome to the forum. Now you don't need to lower or Rotate the Engine down to inspect all the Wiring unless it has been wrecked or burnt wires something like that.
    Like Stevenc150 is saying Check those Relays first. Then check the fuses with a fuse tester. Then check for power with a Circuit Tester. A/6 or 12 volt Tester Looks like a Ice Pick with a clear Handle and a Wire coming out the back of it, and has a Alligator Clip at the End for grounding to a metal area on the bike.
    This will do the job and this way you find out if it's just power or the pump itself. There are manuals at the top of the page for reading. If you are not the Electrical type the Smaller things like the Probing the fuses for power and checking relays are a good place to start.
    The Auto parts Stores have a small yellowish Fuse Tester that lights up( greenish) if the fuse is good.CHECK that out.It will check several sizes of Fuses. The Circuit tester is also clear handled so you can see the handle Light Up when power is available, there is a Alligator Clip on the end of the wire to ground it ONLY.
    never use the Ground Clip to a power source.The Clip is for cliping to a metal area on the Frame OR Engine or the Battery Ground. I don't use the Battery Ground except to test the Tool to make sure it works, then find a good metal ground. Harborfreight has several styles to choose from. Read up and go through the Forum on the manuals and Take your Time. Good Luck . *Jimi

Thanks for the reply Jimi. I will read up on the manuals you mentioned