Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: push rod gaskets 17649-02

TPEHAK: You have just typed your own answer to just one reason why a professional mechanic can do this simple job much cheaper and more efficiently than someone who is not a professional mechanic........

You may not want to pay for labor (no one does). But one thing you are you are buying is experience. That alone can save you time, money, and frustration.

But what do I know Buells are junk bikes and shouldn't be owned by anyone, ever.
    Last edited by Cooter; 12-16-2017 at 11:37 PM.

Banned
    For the price mechanic asks for his work you can buy all necessary tools and do the work by yourself, then you can use those tools in the future multiple times with no need of mechanic help. You also can do the work faster if you already have all necessary tools than if you let the mechanic to maintain your motorcycle, because of a good mechanic likely already has a bunch of customers he should work with before he can start working on your motorcycle. You also probably will spend even more effort to find mechanic who can fix Buell, figuring out how you can transition your motorcycle to him and how to get it back, you will probably learn the same and will be able to do the work by yourself after you will have spent your time and effort on mechanic.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 12-16-2017 at 11:59 PM.

I'm all for learning and expanding the base of educated, experienced riders Kudos to you sir for attacking a job that most amateurs won't. You certainly have a level of detail that most don't. Whether those are the best choices... depends.

Things to consider:
    Did doing this job the first time from start to finish really take less time? It's been many, many, weeks since you started posting about it.
    Was it really 'less effort' than dropping it off and picking it up? Rhetorical....
    Will you ever use any of the valve seat surfacing tools on your bike again? Some bikes with 90k miles have never needed it.

Banned
    I'm sure it would take less time if I would have all the tools and parts on hands from beginning. I expected to spend rainy days window here I can not ride to tear the motorcycle apart, to work on it and to assemble everything back before dry weather came back. The main reason of slowing the work down is waiting the right tools and parts each time I found I need them after some steps. Now it is good dry winter weather here in Seattle to ride motorcycle but it is sitting in garage and waiting just the one gasket I found I need. Probably next weekend I will find something else I can not assemble everything together without. That's why I like to read threads with info about work before starting the work so I will have all the stuff on hands in advance and can manage my time and effort.

I hope I will never need any of those tools anymore, but in my experience at least a half of that things I will need in the future. I even did not expect I will need the motorcycle stands more than one time, but now this stuff pays for itself.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 12-17-2017 at 04:44 AM.

Ok, so we totally agree with each other. Cool I can suggest some good mechanics in the PNW for you if you like

Banned
    If that mechanic has front pushrod cover base gasket in stock and can provide it to me today, I would like to contact him to grab that gasket.

Why, you'll only make your own, thinking that it's better and, probably print out a few dozen for future jobs that you'll probably never need them for.

Banned
    Producing that base gasket is not simple. It would be simpler and cheaper to design and fabricate custom push-rod cover utilizing standard shaped seals like o-rings than produce such base gasket. You need to utilize special tool, pressure, temperature and special prevulcanized rubber to make such gasket.
    Last edited by TPEHAK; 12-17-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Oh good, now we can expect a tutorial with pictures on making a newly designed pushrod covers with newly designed seals.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...iABEgLGIPD_BwE?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast