Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: snrusnak mod thread

Ok so I've been working on my bike a lot and it's really spread out and someone gave me the idea to compile everything, so I figured I'd start doing that tonight. It's slow going, and a work in progress so be patient lol.

It's a 2005 xb9r. I bought it around November of 2010 and it was 100% stock, and slightly neglected. Had 6,900 miles on it.

A pic from when I bought it:

Some of the first mods I did were a breather reroute, changed to the NGK iridium spark plugs(I went with the DCPR9EIX colder heat range plugs), and flash a race map to richen up the fuel maps. After doing these things the bike ran considerably cooler, didn't spit and sputter and hiccup so much, and seemed stronger. I plan to do more fine tuning eventually, maybe a dyno tune, but for now it's much better. I also did a complete "tune up" with new plug wires, TPS reset, AFV reset, drained and replaced fuel(bike had sat), and changed oil and filter and transmission oil.

Now that the bike has "freshened up" and had a "once over" it was on to the real work. More to follow...

The brake pads were shot, some of the factory paint/powder coating was bubbling, and the fork seals were shot. So the first thing on the list was the front end(it's no fun riding without a operable front brake lol).

I replaced the lower fork legs with brand new ones, had the forks rebuilt with new wear items and fluid, replaced the front brake line, new pads, cleaned up all the hardware, resurfaced the front rotor, replaced steering neck bearings with all balls tapered roller bearings, powder coated the triple trees, master cylinder, and fairing stay, and some other misc. things like modified the levers, rebuilt master cylinder, lubed all cables, removed some of the stickers, reflectors, etc.

Reinstalling the sight glass(I couldn't find ANY info on this ANYWHERE)

All back together and riding again:

Well Done Sir! Looking good!

Added factory 2010 mini RSS:

Then went for a ride with some local buddies:

Also, I had found during this front end rebuild that the bike had been previously dropped. I had to replace the fairing stay(found cheap on CL), driver handle bar, and throttle sleeve. I got them both cheapish on ebay, so it wasn't really that bad or that expensive to repair the damage. The only other damage is a little scuff covered by the frame puck.

So this is pretty much where the bike stands as is. Near future mods are "fixing" the kickstand that is prone to breaking, removal of the belt guards, replace rear brake line, pads, and fluid, modify stock muffler, air box modification and K&N(actually already have), powder coat wheels silver(maybe black), replace wheel bearings, upgrade headlights to something aftermarket(mine have terrible light output), ceramic coat headers, replace intake seals(I think they are leaking), possibly bore out the TB, and maybe powder coat the swing arm as well.

There will be other mods as well but not sure exactly what else.

The latest mod is that I just bought a complete set of new midnight black plastics. May take weeks to get here, but I'm really excited about making the switch to black. Going to order some silver emblems to go with it. Will update as things progress!

Thanks kbfnail! Seems like a lot of work for something that almost looks unchanged lol. It'll be worth it in the end! I plan to keep this bike, I love everything about it, so I might as well put the time in and "make it my own".

This weekend I did the kickstand mod, based on the DIY on this site. Great info here!

I have many great tools, but not much in the way of machining. I have a very cheap (harbor freight) drill press, which does OK, and a cheap set of metal cutting drill bits. Well having little knowledge with drilling metal, I burned up my 1/2" bit using a high speed on the press. It literally took me 3 hours to make the kickstand upgrade lol. I finally got it done though, and all seems good.

I did notice there is some play in the kickstand, like it can wobble a little(not much). Is this normal? I can't remember if it was like this previously.

The next few mods while waiting on the black plastics will be cleaning up the license plate area, installing the 1" buell drop pegs that I bought, and replacing my horn(doesn't work).

Oh, and that kickstand spring is a royal PITA!

It literally took me 3 hours to make the kickstand upgrade lol.Â* I finally got it done though, and all seems good.
    lol determination right there. and yea that spring can be frustrating.

mate... its a nice thing to bring a buell back to the glory it should be.

my mate had the same. bought a neglected 03 that was blue. by the time he finished everything looked better than new and it now even sports the lightning tail and black plastics. (that image i sent you).

looking forward to seeing that nice frame set off wiht the plastics.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast