Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Model explaination

I'm not new to bikes but a little new to Buells. I love the xb line and expect to buy one in about nine months. What is the difference between the xbs xbscg and xbss? And also is there any advantage on the newer models? I have noticed that the 08 and up have the upgraded eight piston front caliper. What else?

suspension is the main difference between the 3, they also all have different seats, the Ss a completely different tail.

As for the newer model years the upgrades are based off weak points from years earlier so I would say it is a safe bet to say the newer bikes would be a better buy.

I read the ss has a longer wheelbase. Is that true? And any differences in power between the three?

SS is a longer wheelbase, s is normal, scg is low. the newer engines also rev higher due to stronger internals.

The power of all 3 is the same.

The S is the "standard" XB, the Scg denotes lower "center of gravity" in the event that you are either vertically challenged or prefer the lowered look. The SS has much taller suspension, with more travel, a longer swingarm, and a slightly different frame (different rear shock mount--it shares this with the STT and the Ulysses models).

The SS/STT make for a bit of a reach to the ground, but if you can stand the height, they offer arguably the best suspension in a Buell (compliance, handling, bump absorption, etc.). The S is very sport-bike like in it's travel. The Scg has very limited travel and can be a problem if you're a bit heavier or travel very bumpy roads.

Hope this helps.

Inactive
    i might get banned from the site for this op but....XB9's are 984cc/XB12's are 1203cc. i have two 9's and one 12. all have hawk exhaust but otherwise stock. personally i like the fueling, performance, and engine characteristics of the 9 better than the 12 plus traditionally they sell for 10-15% less money on average than a 12. just thought i'd offer that up if you're seriously looking for an XB.
    now let the sniping begin. :D

09+ has the black frame and the 8 pot front caliper, 08 still had the 6 pot front caliper fyi.

IMO lunatic can go pound sand with that liquid silver frame on his 9's, the graphite grey on the 12's is much more appealing and looks better on the bikes. 09+ black frames is even better, they also have black forks and motor.

Liquid Silver. 9's

Graphite Grey 12's

09+ Black All models except Uly, they stayed graphite grey.

Inactive
    IMO lunatic can go pound sand with that liquid silver frame on his 9's
    ouch!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast