Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY seat cowl

Ive played with glass before and I can get the material cheap where I used to work.

Vacuforming would be awesome, less work and look cleaner.. but...my fear about vacuforming is I could ruin the plug/puck I have sculpted.

Hmmm.. shop vac doesn't pull much vacuum.. my fear was crushing it. I made it out of green floral foam (the rigid stuff not the squishy stuff)

snrusnak.. have you tried your hand at vacuum forming?

What thickness material do you think would be best? Cant be blister packaging thin but too thick and it wouldnt shape right and id have a better chance of ruining the plug.

Got me thinking now sir.. hmmmm. Heheheh

Just coat the plug with something to make it hard. Like drywall joint compound or something. Or hell even FG resin. That way there's no way you could ruin it.

I've done vacuum forming on small items, even smaller than your piece. It's pretty easy, the hardest thing IMO is getting the plastic sheet to the correct heat/softness just before doing the forming. Too stiff and it won't form, too loose and it can be ruined. You'd probably have a couple mishaps at first.

I wouldn't use anything beyond 1/8" thick. You'll be surprised at how well it conforms to the plug and how even the thickness stays. Especially since your plug is fairly simple, no crazy edges or anything. You could probably do even smaller than 1/8", I think the next typical size down is 0.093".

Coat the plug/mold in something to make it hard, give it a shot, and if it doesn't work out do FG. At least you tried something new lol. I think vacuum forming is awesome, and would take any opportunity to use it to try to become better at it, it'd be a good "tool" to have.

Oh, I'm not sure if joint compound would work now that I think about it since the plastic will be hot. I don't know that the compound would hold up to the heat...

Maybe use body filler or glazing putty.. that should do it. I could also sand them nice and smooth.

If I went that far on the plug, theoretically I could make a good negative mold and lay it up with gel coat... or carbon fiber... I am getting way ahead of my skill level now... just because I saw it done on "How It's Made" doesn't mean I could do it in my shed!

Yea.. think body filler will be the way to go.

Now I am wondering if I could make a tank cover. Baby steps!

haha. It is addicting. I'm currently trying to vacuum form two halves of a tube, then plastic weld the halves together. I'm still working on the mold. And I've never plastic welded before...I too am beyond my skill level lol. But hey if you don't try/practice you'll never advance.

Be sure to use a plastic that is formable. Usually acrylics are not, they are too brittle. ABS from what I understand is good for molding and is on the cheap end.

I say give it a shot, you may have a few mishaps but when trying something new that's always the case...

I have a friend who does practical special effects for movies. It just dawned on me to ask him how he would go about it. Not only does he make monsters and aliens and stuff... but he is an avid rider. I am curious what his take on it will be.

But hey if you don't try/practice you'll never advance.

I'm very interested to see how this turns out. I have. Even brainstorming some idea to a custom air box cover.

Looking good regardless. How long it take to get to that shape?

How long it take to get to that shape?
    3+ hours! But it was fun.

I used a carving knife to get the basic shape... but its slow going due to the blade binding if you take too big a bite. You can buzz through this stuff in a hurry with an electric turkey knife, which I didnt have. Then a rasp, then sand paper.

I still have a couple hours left of sanding/shaping. The photo is just the close to the shape I am after. I am putting some more detail into it. Its going to mimic the lines on my tank cover and I may do a little recess for a tail lamp.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast