Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY seat cowl

Where did you buy the foam if you don't mind me asking? A hobby store?

You can also cut foam with a hot wire. Or can sand it away with an electric sander. Just gotta be careful it's easy to go too far with power tools lol.

Yup.. "Michaels" its an arts and crafts store. They have it with the floral arrangement stuff. Not the squishy stuff that holds water. Its rigid. I was originally going to use styro-foam which I think is more common for this type of project but I think this stuff is easier to work with since it is rigid. You have to be careful tho cuz if you drop it or drop a tool on it.. it dents easily. Kind of fragile in that respect.

Another option is insulation board from lowes or home depot. You can use spray adhesive to stick pieces together to make it thicker. I assume that's what you did as well?

Per recommendation of the little old lady in the floral department I used a hot glue gun. ***Muey Importante*** You must use low temperature glue sticks and a dual temp glue gun. The regular glue is too hot and will melt the foam. Oh and dont over do the glue.. makes it hard to sand at the seams without removing chunks accidentally.

You can also cut foam with a hot wire. Or can sand it away with an electric sander. Just gotta be careful it's easy to go too far with power tools lol.
    Tis why I am doing all the final shaping by hand.. as I said.. you cant really put material back on it once you sanded it off!

Hmmm.. spray adhesive may work better with styro-foam since its so smooth. The foam I used has big open cells and spray adhesive wouldnt grab a hold as well as gloopy glue.

gotcha. Just throwing out ideas in case you didn't know. The spray adhesive works great on most foams. It also drys fast, within a minute so you can handle the piece. Spray too much and it eats it away though. I've even used rattle can spray paint as adhesive when I ran out of spray adhesive. It worked fine(just made the foam hunter green lol).

Nice.. good lookin out!

So in looking for a supplier for abs plastic I found a place 5 miles from me!! They also offer vacuum forming. On my way to have a conversation and buy some material. If they can do it relatively cheap I may let them do it.

Giggity

Looks good Mike, gonna have that done by this weekend? Lol just kidding.

Awesome! Would be even better if they can do it for you cheap lol!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast