Thread: Turn signal problems

Hey folks...

As of now I'm not running any rear signals, and just swapped out the stock front for some cheap LEDs my wife had picked up for her bike and never used. After disconnecting the stock lights, and hooking up the new ones, I went to fire up the bike and there was no joy starting it. I tried turning on the signals and there was just a buzzing noise coming from the signal flasher box thing. As the bike wouldn't start I checked all the fuses, and noticed that the 15a light fuse had blown. I went and borrowed one from my truck, and stuck it back in the bike.

The bike then fired up and ran, but the lights still arn't working, or flashing at all. When I turn on the turn signals there is just the buzzing noise, and the light turns on solid. Do I need to mod my stock flasher to get em to work, or buy a resistor

Any help would be appreciated

Sounds like something loose or touching up near the signals/connectors. Was there any splicing involved? The lack of a proper resistor or relay usually causes them to flash faster. Not flashing is a different issue.

Not splicing, but the connectors on the bike were too big for the LED plugs I had, so I had to pinch em with some pliers to get them to fit. I was going to wrap em with either heat wrap or just electrical tape. I don't think anything is touching though that could cause a short. But I guess that sounds like what it is due to the blown fuse.... I dunno... I put the stock lights back on and everything worked fine... Switched back to the LEDs and same issues.... mayeb they're just a super cheap LED and something inside is f'd...

I found a replacement flasher at Autozone for less than $10 and my led lights work fine. There is also a simple mod available on this site to make the OEM flasher to work with led lights. I suggest a new flasher that works with led lights will solve your problem rather than try and modify your stock flasher. That way, you can always put it back to stock to test if something goes bad.

PS: like Rhino1 said, you should experience hyper-flashing rather than buzzing with your stock flasher. Also, the led compatible flasher from NAPA simply did not work, and it was more expensive too.

EP-36 flasher from Autozone solved my issues.
    Raz

Yep EP36 flasher from the parts store. Depends on the leds. Mine did the same thing. Buzzing flasher and no blinking. The ep36 flasher will fix it.

EP 36 from autozone also worked well for me. Plugged right in. Works like a champ.