Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: XB12s Weird Problem

The coil isn't getting the signal to fire. When the problem happens the coil wont fire. I can then manually use the ecmspy diagnostic tool to fire the coil and both plugs fire.

replace the coil; check the ground atop the coil mounted to the frame; check the wires from the coil for constant power

I don't have any ground wire from the coil to the frame. The only wire going to my coil is a little black plug.

On the coil is says Buell 07 XB12s. There is three wire black plug going into the coil. No ground wires or anything on the coil. Just two spots where the bolts go through to screw into the bracket.

I get no trouble codes either when this happens. I'm thinking its a bad ecm. Rand-Hawk and Max-Tuneversity both said it kinda sounded like a bad ecm. Hopefully I can pick up a stock one and see if that is the issue.

There shouldn't be an extra ground coming off of the coil

Just noticing this thread.

Coil should just have the three pin plug.

Back to the other day. Clock reset tells you the power was disconnected.

The inconsistent says, to me, leave the ECM alone for now. It's running when it runs. Forget the ECM learning info, it doesn't work like that.

These batteries require more CCA than others but it is starting so not sure that is it. Course, it would only give you one start a day as it gets to the end of its life.

Check the plug wire. Make sure, especially the rear one, that it is not touching the cylinder head. It can wear and ground out. That accounts for one cylinder but it would be hard to start, especially on a humid morning.

Have another look under the seat. Not sure if it's this model but on some there is a wire runs under the seat and OVER the frame. It shorts and kills the engine when you sit on it. So bike starts, looks good, sit and it quits. Or, ride, looking good, shift weight and it quits. It's a progressive problem.

Battery cranks it over no problem. I pulled the plug wires and ohmed them out and look them all over. This problem happens with it just sitting there, No movement. No wires that go over the frame. I haven't check the wires behind the wind screen yet. Going to dig into them once I'm off work. Keep the suggestions coming!

On your way home from work, pick up an auto relay, about $10.

Earlier you noted that something is not telling the coil to fire. One thing that has a say in that is the ignition relay.

You could try just switching them around, there might even be a spare in the box. If there's four, you're in luck.

Its my cps. I didn't notice it yesterday but when the bike would die and I would try to crank it over the cps signal on ecmspy wouldn't change. Now that I know the problem the bike wont fail on me today. Just got back from two 20 minute rides around the block and it wont fail on me...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456