Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squeaking on acceleration

I have noticed that when I give my 04 XB12S a hard twist on the throttle I sometimes get a squeaking or sound that sounds like it is coming from the right side of the engine towards the front. Doesn't happen all the time and not on a normal acceleration. I thought it might be the belt but sounds like it is farther forward, although it is hard to tell. Any ideas?

Do you only hear that when it's hot?

Are you hitting the limiter? What oil do you use?

Also check the bike while sitting shut down. push down on the seat and let up a couple of times. Possibly the Rear Shock or spring also maybe the belt tensioner like Squidbuellie is saying. I have also found squeeks at the rear pulley but that is rare.Roll it around not running gently tapping the front brake to make the front dip and listen. Probably just a squeeky Shock. Hope this helps.*Jimi

Like jimijeans said, sit on that seat while off and bounce up and down. Rear spring compression would occur during hard throttle... Is your seat secure and rear shock set for body weight?

I have checked all the obvious stuff that I could think of, including most of these suggestions. I was hoping this had happened to someone else. To respond to the suggestions:

Only happens when hot but I never twist the throttle hard unless she is warmed up.

It is not the limiter as it does not have to be at high revs to do it.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic in both holes and change them out regularly.

I have checked to see if it is suspension but can't get it to duplicate. It also doesn't sound like it is coming from the suspension but the front right side of the engine.

The sound is not a constant sound but a repeated short squeaking. Again, it only occurs on occasion during a fast acceleration, never any other times.

My first thought was the belt rubbing somewhere but I can't find any evidence of that. No noticeable wear.

I checked the tension on the belt and it looks good, no noticeable wear.

I just put new tires on her and will see if it is still there. Only had her out a couple of times since and haven't heard it but again, it is intermittent.

Did you ever figure this out? My bike is doing the same thing and I'm afraid it's light detonation.

A "squeak" coming from the cylinder head is commonly a leaking head gasket. I've also heard Harley guys describe a "chirp" that can develop in the worn or damaged valvetrains of Evo motors.

Im pretty sure in my case it's spark knock/ detonation. I just need to check my base timing before I go any further.

I tend to agree on either a head gasket or possibly (?) a leaking exhaust gasket at cylinder head. SO many things it COULD be, but all are good suggestions.:)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast