Thread: breather valve problem

well now that ive gotten the major issues out of the way all the little ones can surface.

after a 50 mile ride my bike started making excessive breather noise (has a somewhat cobbled together breather relocation done) seems like the valve on the rear breather is shot and lets it breath positive and negatively without resistance in either direction

can't seem to find my service manual right now, i have no problem tearing into the rocker box but i was just curious how far apart i have to take the thing and where inside the rocker box will i find the breather valve.
    I imagine its some kind of flimsy little umbrella valve?

some rockerbox cover info and more BUELL tuber info article with some links ! enjoy !

http://www.doncasto.net/DonCastosS2C...nalWisdom.html
    Rocker Box Gaskets
    The rocket box gaskets that Harley Davidson built many of its Sportster/Buell motors with have been know to become misaligned and leak on a fairly regular basis. After several (many) years of failures of these paper gaskets, they were finally upgraded in 2001. Although this may not require pre-emptive work, it is definitely important to make sure you get the new gaskets if you ever have to pull the covers off.
    Note: Consider doing the Buell recommended rocker box modifications detailed in the Crankcase Breather Section seen below when replacing the gaskets.
    Part #16800-84. Have your dealer look for Parts and Accessories Bulletin #709.

XB Rocker Box Cover Upgrade
    The rocker box cover from the new XB engines can, with a little modification, be bolted right up to the older "Evolution" (XL) engines. Not only does the upgrade reduce the incident of gasket problems it also addresses the tendency of the older engines to blow excessive amounts of oil out through the crankcase breathers. This is accomplished by replacing the older two piece cover and umbrella valve assembly with a single cover that uses a real world PCV valve.

17605-00YB - Rocker cover, front head $39
    17642-02A - Rocker cover, rear head $39
    17606-00YA - Grommet, Viton, Black $2.95 each (need 2)
    17607-00Y - PCV Valve, $6.90 each (need 2)
    868A - Hex Socket Button Head Screw, $4.75 each (need 2)

For a complete how-to pictorial on the upgrade please refer to Jose Quinones's article reposted at http://home.att.net/~castodon/josesxbcover.html

side note read what is said in the Synthetic Oil Use section I agree with what is said about it and how to deal with what the dealer/shops/sellers say

you can google buell X1 / s2 rocker box fix for some other info too...

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Foru...OwnerNew-Rider

great links for buellers here
    150-Helpful-Links-for-Buellers....and-Growing.
    Buell-Clothing--Parts-List---Foreign--Domestic
    pegasusraceteam.com racewear
    Erik Buell Racing .com
    Erik Buell & EBR gear & merchandise
    Erik Buell Racing team & Geoff May..BuellXB thread
    ...make sure you fill out your profile!
    PERSONAL-PROFILES
    and dont forget to put yourself on the Buell Map!
    New-Google-Map-for-Buellers
    tell us about Your first Buell sighting & Why-did-you-buy-your-Buell?

on my 09 i had to let the engine drop foward a little to get it out.

I imagine its some kind of flimsy little umbrella valve?
    thats exactly what it is its either open or closed not variable like a pcv.

so basically its the same inside as it is on my older evo's i already did the rear rocker box gaskets on this bike but wasn't paying a whole lot of attention while doing it as i just wanted to get back on the road that day. think i have a few umbrella valves for 4-speed evo's laying around. maybe ill see if one of those will work.

can a stock rocker cover be modded to run a pcv? seems like all you'd need to do is drill a hole and put a grommet in it.