Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Buell xb12 review after 1.5 years of ownership.

These bikes are an absolute addiction to those who have had the good fortune (and good sense) to take ownership of one. 3rd riding season on my '07 XB12R, and liking - no, LOVING it more with each ride! Unlike the OP, I have found the only folks who have snubbed my Buell are HD weekend warrior types. No big surprise there! Of the many sport bike owners, sport\tourer owners, cruiser owners that I've got into conversations with - they've only ever been complimentary towards my bike and Buells in general. And other Buell owners I've met and spoken to are all as fanatical as I am! I was at my local HD dealership recently (Trev Deeley - Vancouver, Canada) and one of the parts guys told me that when Buell production was discontinued, they had 13 Buells in stock. Of those 13, six were purchased by staff at the dealership! The good folks there have always been huge Buell fans, and from the big boss down, many of them have owned or continue to own Buell machines. They were REALLY pissed off when HD killed the Buell brand, which is high praise from the company responsible for importing Harley Davidson's into Canada!

Inactive
    nice post fireinxb. and in conjunction with what you've just said, i would like to add this.(intake whoofing being my personal fav)

considering there's been dozens of "my engine is noisy", "what's that clicking noise", "is this normal" types of posts on the board regarding our bikes' drivelines, thought i'd post this quote from arguably the finest motorcycle journalist alive regarding the XB12 Ulysses he purchased new in the summer of 2010. i give you none other than Peter Egan:
    "plainly put, i love this Buell Ulysses for everything it is and all that it isn't. it has comfort and reliability in spades, prodigious torque, interesting lines,incredibly simple maintenance procedures accomplished with basic hand tools, outside-the-box thinking regarding brakes, fluid containers, exhaust placement...the list is admirably long. granted that the sportster-derived driveline produces a cacaphony of primary chain whirring, exhaust huffing, valve train clatter, cam gear clicking and intake whoofing all in the name of air-cooled power production...much the same as any quality garden tractor engine is prone to do. i find all this fairly subtle racket to be not only satisfying but a large provider of "character" which is something sorely lacking in most 21st century machinery."
    Peter Egan
    Cycle World online posting
    October/2011

For those of us less eloquent souls I say "thank you!! to those of you who write and speak so well."

People frequently ask about my smile :) as I approach my bike, or about my **** eating grin :D at the end of a ride. Now when I quote you, with your permission fireinxb, I will have a much better response than "You wouldn't understand" .

+1

LOL thanks guys, of course you can quote me ;). You know what's funny is when I first got this thing running the valve-train noise scared the **** out of me. I thought the thing was going to grenade right there. NOW, i really like the way it sounds like its about to blow up all the time. I actually like that sound quite a bit.

Thanks for reading my novel everyone, i had gotten home from a little ride and had so much going through my head about this bike I had to share my thoughts.

I will always tell people a Buell XB isn't for everyone.. not at the slightest. BUT, if you like everything about it, there is really no reason not to have one.

You said it best man! Awesome write up!

Inactive
    I will always tell people a Buell XB isn't for everyone.. not at the slightest. BUT, if you like everything about it, there is really no reason not to have one.
    they are an "acquired taste" as i like to say. just like a beemer.

Absolutely agree with all stated here. This will be my 5th summer on Buell and still loving it.

Awesome write up! It's great to know there is a place I can go where there are people that share my passion for Buell. Things the wife could not understand even if I tried to explain it. Thanks for this great post. I love my Goddamn XB!

took the words out of my mouth. very well said.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast