Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idles fine, bogs and dies with more than 1/4 idle.

Ok, long story short. Bike ran fine 2 weeks ago, rode it around and parked it. Went to start it Monday and if I give it more than 1/4 throttle it almost sounds like it's firing at the wrong time occasionally with a metallic thunk type noise and bogs down and dies almost immediately. Start right back up and idles perfectly. I have noticed there doesn't appear to be the standard high rev warm-up lately but on the other hand it's been sitting in 70-80deg weather.

I've checked the boot, gas, replaced the spark plug, pulled the carb and checked the diaphragm, and given the carb a good once over, tried starting and running with the gas cap off.

I'm completely stumped at this point, any ideas?

Guessing this isn't a lightning since you said carb? But my 06 Ss has a similar problem.

2005 Buell Blast, fully stock. I was wondering just after I posted this, could this be a faulty TPS?

I would replace the boot anyways.

Disable clutch safety by flipping center diode and cut and twist/solder wires together that connect with the kickstand safety. They fail often and cause misery.

Do those three things and then report back. A boot tear is often very difficult to detect. They should be replaced often until you have Dans superboot.

Would the kickstand safety and/or the clutch safety affect it even when not moving? Also, anyone have suggestions for best places to buy Blast parts other than eBay?

Just ordered the superboot from Dan, anyone else that reads this he has a few more for sale right now on eBay.

Yes, they can keep you from starting the bike if they are not working correctly.

The bike starts fine so I doubt it's that. But, I never thought about it though but I'll probably disable the clutch switch anyways, it's a hassle to hold the clutch while trying to start it when I'm holding everything.

*Ignore*

oh the good times....I tore half the bike apart and disabled the TPS to test if it was messing up, nothing. Hooked up a timing light and noticed the light wasn't flashing regularly so I figured must be the coil pack or ignition module. Moved the coil wire out of the way and everything started working perfectly...Bike's been down for over a week because of the spark plug cable.

On the positive side the bike runs great now and the clutch sensor is disabled to let me start it one handed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast