Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about loading bike in truck

Hey I used to be able to fit my buell in my truck and shut the tailgate, but I now have a bedliner and it doesn't quite fit. I maybe need another inch or two.

I was going to air down the tires but am afraid they will pop off the wheels or something. If I air them down to next to nothing will they air up easily with just a compressor to fill them?

The other option is to put the front strapped in straight then kick the rear tire to the side to clear the gate, although I don't like doing this.

I may try airing down both tires to about 10 psi then taking the tailgate portion of the liner off, what do you all think? I just don't know much about the tires, I don't want to get them so low that it loses it's bead or whatever then I can't roll the bike off the truck or get air in the tires again.

Just put it in at an angle. Nestle the front tire against one of the bed sides and make sure its strapped in well. You can use the kick stand or not depending on your preference.

Or just leave the tailgate down.

I want the tailgate up because we are going to be putting on a lot of miles, and going to have the bed completely packed all around the bike. We will basically be driving or riding for 7 days straight, in different states. It's just really easy to be able to shut the gate and know it's secure, vs. strapping everything in which is a PITA and time consuming. Plus we are not just going to one destination, so we'd have to unstrap and restrap everything multiple times.

I don't like putting the bike in at an angle for long trips. I want it to be centered so the straps are equal length and the tension is equal. I had put my old bike in my s10 at an angle once to be able to shut the gate and it ended up getting loose. I've never had it happen with the bike straight.

At worst I can strap the forks down centered, then kick the rear out a foot or so to clear the gate. Do you think this would be ok?

I'm thinking if I take the tailgate portion of the liner off and air down the tires it will fit.....or at least hoping so.

should have got a spray on bedliner.

is there room if you keep the bike centered but turn the handlebars. ive tied mine down sideways in a u haul like that. im not big on the idea of raving the rear tire kicked out but i imagine it would work fine. the two fork straps are really what hold the bike up.

Yeah I actually am going to get a spray in linex. Just couldn't afford it yet. I got the drop in liner free and really only needed it for a one time use thing(hauling concrete rubble. I could maybe just take it out. That's worst case scenario I guess.

Didn't think about turning the forks...

I want the tailgate up because we are going to be putting on a lot of miles, and going to have the bed completely packed all around the bike. We will basically be driving or riding for 7 days straight, in different states. It's just really easy to be able to shut the gate and know it's secure, vs. strapping everything in which is a PITA and time consuming. Plus we are not just going to one destination, so we'd have to unstrap and restrap everything multiple times.

I don't like putting the bike in at an angle for long trips. I want it to be centered so the straps are equal length and the tension is equal. I had put my old bike in my s10 at an angle once to be able to shut the gate and it ended up getting loose. I've never had it happen with the bike straight.

At worst I can strap the forks down centered, then kick the rear out a foot or so to clear the gate. Do you think this would be ok?

I'm thinking if I take the tailgate portion of the liner off and air down the tires it will fit.....or at least hoping so.
    The tires should not pop off the bead, but I would not do this; they may not pop off the bead but they may slide to a diff position on the rim, making your tire ballence gone.

The equal length on the straps, and kicking the ass to the side is stricktly a OCD thing. If tied down with adequet straps you will have no worries losing your load, or a strap breaking. I have loaded my bike and others every-whatcha-way imaginable. Two bikes three bikes, trailers u-hauls you name it. The straps will hold. I think you may be more concerned about the bike looking sharp in the back of the truck for all those that may see you driving down the road, I know I like too.

The bottom line is, you need to decide what is more important to you; your jurney/adventure or the OCD...

P.S. Why cant you just take the whole bed liner back out just for this trip?

Good luck

Or, air down. You can get to 10 safely without losing the bead.

But of the 2, I'd rather put the bike in at an angle and close the gate.

Thanks for all the replies.

I think you may be more concerned about the bike looking sharp in the back of the truck for all those that may see you driving down the road, I know I like too.
    lol that's funny.

I may just take the liner out....I'm planning on a spray in within a month or two anyway...or maybe cut a hole in it where the tires go.

Lots of experience loading bikes and always turn bars to right full lock and wheel stuffed into front right corner of bed with its ass pulled slightly left and have never had a loose rope after covering many miles. Also, airing down the tires will not make any noticable difference because unlike a car or pickup, which would immediately start dropping, a bike won't due to the thickness and small profile of the bike tires. I speak from experience because my 340 lbs father doesn't check his often enough and i've found them as low as 10 psi on too many occassions and didn't notice anything more than a bit of vagueness in corners.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast