Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need opinion on Daytona Twin Tunner removing...

ok guys, I need your opinion.
    sorry for the poor translation, I used "Google translation" from a mail I wrote in french to Big Twin.

I have an appointment Friday for a "recall" on my bike and I need your opinions ...

On my bike, I have an electronic module that controls fire. It's the Daytona Twin tunner. This is not a race ECM, it's just a widget that modifies the signal from the ECM to the injectors. Basically, my ECM is still stock but the widget modifies the signal for more power.

In reading around the forum I realize that when you started playing in the electronic of the bike, you reduce the life expectancy of the engine and it runs "leaner". A "symptom" of the bike running leaner is it backfireing and mine is backfireing alots... to much in fact.

I was wondering if I was not better, Friday, at the dealer, make them remove the Daytona Twin Tunner and have it "reprogram" the TPS. Just to make sure my bike is running stock electronically speaking. Even if I have a Jardine and a K&N air filter ...

I ask this because I do not want to shorten the longevity of my engine and I find the installation of the Daytona Twin wiring botched below my bench. (I bought the bike like this) I know the dealer will charge me but what's an hour to make sure the bike runs as it should ...

I just need advices from you guys
    thank you
    Sweb

oh and by the way
    it's a 2009 XB12 Scg
    Jardine Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    with the Daytona Twin Tunner

The Daytona "Twin Tech Tuners" (i think thats the name) are not very popular on this forum (or so it would seem from some searching), but they can be used to make your Buell run better with the modifications you have mentioned (Jardine, K&N). Without the Twin Tech, your bike would run too lean and would eventually lead to the problem you fear (premature engine wear). If you have your dealer tune your ECM (not your TPS--that means "Throttle Position Sensor", and will NOT address your lean running condition at all), that would be a good thing, provided the dealer is familiar with tuning Buell ECMs for performance upgrades. Otherwise, your Daytona Twin Tech is adjustable and can be adjusted to enrichen your fuel mixture and reduce the amount of backfiring.

I would try to find an owner's manual for that unit and learn how to use it.

Hope this helps.

How well does this twin tuner work if programed the right way? Is it better to have the stock ecm tuned for upgrades to the exhaust and air box/filter?

From my research, it is generally considered better to custom-tune your ECM if possible. However, a "piggy back" system like this is also a proven performance enhancer (think "Power Commanders" and the like) and definitely an improvement over nothing. If anything, it will allow you to incrementally richen your fuel mixture at various points in order to prevent a lean condition.

I am considering something like this for my '09 XB12...

So...
    To make sure I understand clearlely,
    I only have to make the dealer tune the ECM to stock conditions and check/tune the Daytona Twin Tunner to what the specs tells me right?

Correct. But your ECM is probably already stock.

i have used twin tech tuner for years because i knew no other way to tune when i bought my buell. i run kn and custom exhaust have logged over 20k hard miles with nary a glitch. fyi it has served me well. not to convince u to keep it,just info for you

Thank you verry much guys. I appreciate it. I don't think I'll remove the twin tech Tunner. Juste reinstall it my way (not botched) and check the settings the dude who sold me the bike did in the twin tech Tunner. Thank to Rhino1 now I have the chart from Daytona.

i have used twin tech tuner for years because i knew no other way to tune when i bought my buell. i run kn and custom exhaust have logged over 20k hard miles with nary a glitch. fyi it has served me well. not to convince u to keep it,just info for you
    That's great to hear--It's nice to see some real feedback from actual users... Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast