Thread: ** Clutch grabs and causes a jump ??

Hey fellow Buellers. My '03 XB9S has been so reliable(amazing) 18000+ km strong. Lovingly maintained.

Recently when I accelerate and feather the clutch out slowly, it grabs at the end of my clutch lever cycle and causes a slight jump and if I accelerate hard the front sometimes pops up a tiny bit?
    I checked clutch cable adjustments..looks ok. Can it be primary chain adjust ? or what ?
    Thnks in advance

Need to also adjust the Primary Clutch adjustment screw & yeah, go ahead and do the Primary chain while you're at it.

Is this grab/jump a normal symptom of primary misadjustment ?

Need to also adjust the Primary Clutch adjustment screw & yeah, go ahead and do the Primary chain while you're at it.
    1) Where is this Primary Clutch Adjustment Screw??? My bike has a similar problem (intermitently) and I've been chasing it for weeks.

2) How do you make the adjustment???

There are TWO Areas Here to be Addressed, First the 2/screws on the left side up top are for the Primary chain Inspection/ this is where you can check the tension(up & down) for seeing IF the CHAIN needs to be Adjusted. GO by the book for that.
    The Allen Screw is for Adjusting Clockwise for TIGHT and the Large Nut is for keeping it Tight.Only Loosen the Lock Nut about 3/4 of a turn counterclock wise or fluiod will drip out! JUST snug it good to lock it down when Adjustment is done!
    Take YOUR Time in doing this! Check the Chain Tension BEFORE you adjust it! The 3/screws on the left side (Derby Cover} there is a small spring and hex behind (Derby Cover) for the Clutch that holds it. Remove it and set aside , Cleanness is mandatory on this area,there is a small Flat Screw right in the middle.
    [BEFORE] you touch that CLUTCH Adjuster Screw!
    Please take the time to read up here on the Forum on how to Adjust the Clutch Cable first. The Cables Adjuster is right up front near the Header/ takes TWO Wrenches to do that & most times there is a Rubber Boot that covers the Adjuster keeping Moisture and cleaness on the Threads!
    Most times it is the Cable that needs to be adjusted First.Then install the Cover and spring etc.., Go and Test and go on from there.
    You have an 03/model bike so start from the cable. Then more than likely the Clutch basket screw will need to be slightly adjusted,unless something else is going on.
    Probably just needs some adjusting so small things first!
    There are Manuals here on the Forum to help you with what is needed to be done, at the top of the page.
    Even if the year is different than yours, this area is simular when it comes to that. Start with your Clutch Lever cable First after Removing the Derby Cover, look and Gently pull the Clutch Lever and watch the Action of it working. Does it look sloppy OR Loose? Anyway Use The Manuals here on the forum and those will be of great help.
    THE [Primary Chain Adjuster] is leftside at the Bottom and TAKES an Allen Wrench and an Box End Wrench.
    You get that Primary Chain Too Tight and a lot of money is going to be spent to fix the Damage it can cause.
    YOU CAN Strip out the THREADS if you Don't Know what you are doing Adjusting the Primary Chain so TAKE your TIME!
    Do NOT Adjust the Primary Chain TILL you Do the COMPLETE Clutch adjustment FIRST! Then Test Ride the Bike!
    SMALL Things First!
    You can also down load that Manual if you like.If you still get stuck then post up if can and someone here on the Forum may be able to help you.
    The Manuals need to be read to help you in the Future as well.Ride Safe.&Jimi

thanks jimijeans and other Buellerz. My primary chain was a little beyond manual specs. But the real culprit was the clutch adjustment. Seems solid now.
    cheers guys

Nope !! Spoke too soon. Still grabbin through the clutch release, causing the front to jump up !??
    Do you guys think the plates are toast ? Clutch springs ? I'm scratchin my head here. Primary chain is adjusted as well as clutch cable. Fresh primary HD oil as well.

??

Remove the Derby Cover 3/screws, gasket and spring and Hex nut. etc.. With Engine off, Now check the Action pulling the Clutch Lever slowly and releasing make sure to take your time while watching. Check the Primary Covers Rim Lip there at the Ramp.Check it for wear and seperation where the Ramp Rides on it.
    Is there any Slack in the Cable where it attaches to the Clutch Cable Coupling?
    Check the Nut holding the Ramps inner and outer for slack OR being too tight. Possible clutch Spring & Bearings is Worn.
    It being an 2003 XB might want to get that area rebuilt while it is in good shape.
    If the Bike is Lurching forward hard then something is out of adjustment OR worn parts are at fault, including the Primarys Lip inside the cover.
    Small Things First!
    ALSO has the Ramp Assembly Ever been Removed while the primary cover was still on the Engine? I am Wondering if the 3/balls inside the Ramps assembly one might have slipped down into the wrong area Just a thought!.Needle bearing in back of the Clutch basket MAY BE worn. If nothing is out of place then Either Worn parts OR Adjustment . Try to readjust the Clutch Basket [Flat Screw] till it lets out with the Clutch Lever Almost completely Released. This will let it slip a bit.
    TEST it GENTLY and then Re-adjust the Clutch Baskets Screw 1/4 turn at a time till you find the best Adjustment for Letting out your Clutch Lever.Yse Reinstall the Derby Cover Every Time to test.
    Retest and so on. Just an Idea, I've used many times. There is a FINE Line when the Bikes get some miles on them Depending on Riders. Clutch area is Touchy.You can always Check the Manuals here on the Forum.Good Luck.*Jimi

Thanks jimijeans. Greatly appreciated !

After many adjustments as per BUELL shop manual, fluid changes, lever, and cable. I spoke with a competant HD mech...he thinks my metal clutch plates are warped. What d'you guys think ?

Damn reliable bike..given the thrashing I give it and all the off road I do.