Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Tuniversity is back, plus new news!

Cool thanks for the explanation. Was looking into getting a cable since I have the k&n and am about to install a race pipe. I know there will be tuning needs for optimal performance.
    Thanks octo

Octo- Sorry if you've already explained this on another thread somewhere, but for someone like me who has a pre-2008 Buell (I have a 2004 XB12R), and is perfectly comfortable with tuning with ECMSPY, what advantage is there to converting over to TunerPro? I understand your reasons for avoiding it, but is there a practical reason for using TunerPro with pre-2008 XBs? On these earlier XBs, the tuning effort using ECMSPY and Megalog for logging and tuning is pretty simple and produces acceptable results. Does TunerPro make this any easier, produce a better tune or shorten the process?

I gave TunerPro a shot once a while back but didn't pursue an honest effort at tuning with it. Since you provide training services and are familiar with both tuning methods, I thought you'd be the best person to explain the benefits of TunerPro vs ECMSPY. If I'm not mistaken, TunerPro allows access to more of the ECM data, but does TunerPro actually produce more useful logging data that can be used by Megalog for producing a better tune?

I'm sure there's other ECMSPY veterans who have wondered about this as well.

Congrats Marc! Best of luck with it!

Super Moderator
    Tork: This is definitely a good question. Pre-08 Buells are tuned very easily with the original ECMSpy. For this reason, I can certainly understand why people who are comfortable with the software platform would stick with it, rather than switch over to something new. However, as I mentioned before, out of respect to the EMCSpy dev team (who put in a ton of work on the software, then watched it get abused by many parties), I urge all prospective clients to avoid using it. It's just a question of ethics, I guess, but I like to stay on the right side of karma.

The primary reasons for using TunerPro RT are that it is very powerful, is all-in-one (no need to farm out to MLV, which now costs money to use effectively), is free, and is modular (can be used to tune all FI Buells, not to mention other cars and motorcycles). Allow me to address each of these points individually. First, as you mentioned, it opens up the ECM in ways that the old ECMSpy does not. In some cases, this is overkill. In others, it allows for the modification of some pretty cool parameters (like altering RPM/TPS values in maps to change map resolution). Second, it allows a user who is new to tuning the ability to alter the EEPROM, datalog, analyze, and remap all in one location, which makes the process smoother and easier to accomplish. No, it is not more powerful than ECMSpy/MLV (at least not as I understand it), but streamlining workflow goes a long way in making something approachable. Third, it is guilt and cost-free. I always suggest that my clients donate to Mark (the developer) to support his work, and the vast majority do, but at the end of the day, it is free and legal to use. Finally, it can be adjusted rapidly to work with many Buells. I know it cuts down on my business, but I strive to empower all of my clients with the ability to tune all FI Buells, so that they might help their friends out with some basic tuning. TunerPro is the only free software package that affords them the ability to do this.

I think that, for these reasons, TunerPro is more attractive to many people--experienced and neophytes, alike--than either the old ECMspy or the new Mono variant. However, there's no reason for you to jump ship if you are happy with what you are currently doing. I'm not one to make a hard sell to anyone, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I hope that I answered your questions. Please let me know if you need any clarification.

Great response, Octo. You answered my questions perfectly. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12