Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: XB headers, what's the interest level on replacements?

So I got a set of xb12 headers in the mail today, thanks to wolfo68. Slightly rashed, but functionally correct. Single O2 sensor in the rear, I assume this makes it an older set.
    Dimensions are 18 gauge 1.75" OD tube primaries, 2" OD outlet. Now that I have a set in hand, I think I can build them without a lot of difficulty once I have a jig set up for it.

It will not be an exact replica, finding tight radius tube for a decent price and availability isn't easy. I can get some that's super tight, but in donut form and it's very expensive. It's not a mandrel bent part either. The option I'm looking at is to change the bends slightly and possibly loop the front header up over the rear, so it would be a little wider than stock but not by much. I will also have an O2 sensor bung for both front and rear. Having both available makes tuning easier, even if it means swapping back and forth between them to get data out of the sensor. I run a wideband setup on my 1125 so that I know what it's doing all the time.

I have been asked about making 1.88" headers also, it can be done, but it would be stepped to get there. I could also go even larger to 2" but that may be overkill. Based on using 16 gauge tubing like I normally do for 1125's, the change in ID would only be .030" smaller if I use 1.75" tube. If I use the step to 1.88" then the ID stays essentially the same as stock, lengths will be a little different. If I step up to 2" OD, then it's marginally larger at roughly 1.870" ID instead of the stock size at 1.650" or so. Is it worth it? No idea at this point, but I recall seeing someone had made some 52 or 54 mm headers once upon a time. I currently do not have plans to make equal length headers, although that could change. Just depends on what the market pushes for.

Anyway, using thinner gauge material roughly doubles my costs, there's only a few places that have it available and they want a premium price for it.

I'm also not much into hiding my welds by grinding them down and smoothing things over with a flapwheel, so they'll have tig welds showing when it's all said and done. Mine aren't perfect by any stretch, but they should hold up long term.

What's the price point you guys are looking for in 304 ss headers? I've seen them range from $200 for stock ones if you can find them all the way up over $1000 and beyond for a custom made set.

I'm also not much into hiding my welds by grinding them down and smoothing things over with a flapwheel, so they'll have tig welds showing when it's all said and done
    I'm cool with that Dean, it'll add a SteamPunk kinda feel to them imo which I think is dope.

as for cost, being light on coin more often then not I like my stuff cost effective, I know your skills and time are well worth top $$$ but maybe an idea is to offer a can and set of headers for around a $1000 (obviously, type of can and extras will effect a base price)

I have been a fan of your stuff since you came onboard but again priorities over what I would not mind as opposed to things that are needed take precendent.

So a ball park for KEDA headers, (no offense) but anything over 300 bucks is too rich for this cat.

Keep up the great work, always look forward to your ideas and one of these days I'll rock a KEDA

:)

If they were around $250, then yea, I would buy them

I would charge a lot more then 250...

A few guys have told me between $400-500 isn't out of line for what it is. I want to price it lower if possible. Just need to make sure I can make a set in a reasonable timeframe.

Yeah selling them by themselves 4-500. If you did a package full exhaust system maybe 8-900??:D

So you will be buying the bends and not bending the tubing yourself? I mean that raises the price right there, but around 2" diameter tubing in 5' lengths will run about $70 online

I'd be interested in the 2" if you made them equal length like twin over in the netherlands. they're the one's that did the 52mm.

Those were my 04 stockers, my attachment to them was because they shine better than the newer material.

I'd be interested in the 2" if you made them equal length
    What is the difference in length: same length vs stockers?
    Is there a performance gain to be had either way, or purely aesthetics?

Equal length just basically allows for equal temperatures in both cylinders as the exhaust passes the same distance on each runner. Performance gains...not really. Just runs more efficiently.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast