Thread: No tail light or turn signal where to start?

I have a 2008 XB12 firebolt, recently after washing the bike I lost my tail light and turn signal quit working, but the brake light is operational. I bought the bike used and have no manuals, I did find some fuses and relays tucked in the fairing, but none seemed to be dedicated to the tail light or turn signals. I am hoping to do some riding this 4th of July so and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I forgot to mention in my original post, the I have performed a forum search on this topic with little success. The word tail light brings up several pages of posts, mainly discussing aftermarket mods. I've tried to weed through them but have found nothing pointing me to what relays or fuses I should check for tail light and turn signal. So any info on this would be helpful. Thank you.

Sewerrat, are you suspecting water damage? What do you mean when you say:

after washing the bike I lost my tail light and turn signal quit working, but the brake light is operational.

I've had my brake light connection at the handlebars come disconnected before. It is a little two-prong connector under the brake perch, but I don't know if that is what you are looking for.

I don't know what to suspect, I was just detailing the last known time that my tail light and turn signals worked. This is not a brake light issue, my brake light operates as it should when i apply my brakes. The tail light does not illuminate at night(or day) and the turn signals ceased to function at the same time. I am hoping it is a simple fix such as a blown fuse or relay due to water from washing the bike. But i am relatively new to the Buell bike and cannot locate any fuses or relays marked as tail light or turn signals. I have found relays and fuses behind my fairing but they dont seem to be related to my problem. I am hoping some more experienced owners could give me some direction in this. Thank you for your reply. I do apologize for any confusion, my orginal post does seem poorly worded.

Mystery solved, it did turn out to be a blown fuse. A 10 amp marked ACC on fuse box cover, I dont know why ACC would stand for tail light or turn signal but it does. Fortunately, I found this by tracing my way back from the tail light to the fuse box. Because I now know my blown fuse was caused by bare wires at the tail light and rear turn signal assembly(probably the two prong thing at the perch Joebuell06 mentioned), which most likley shorted when I washed the bike. Thank you to joebuell06 for taking a interest in my problem, I did find it interesting that with over 40 views no one chose to tell me about the ACC fuse. Please let me know if I can improve my posts on this forum to generate more responses. Thank you. Back to work on the bike, should be riding this 4th of July afterall, even if it is going to be in the 100's here in Iowa.

Right on! Good to know, now get out and ride that all 'merican thing

Im having the same issue man. Except my brake light and low beam doesnt work either. Ill try the ACC fuse when I get off, hopefully thats all it is!

I had similar issue but included blinkers, rear running light and my instrument cluster on a 2003 Xbr9s all died when I turned on blinker while riding in the rain. It was indeed a blown 7.5 amp ACC fuse. Got a new fuse and it’s all back to normal again. Guy who owned bike before me removed rear blinkers and never bothered to tape up and protect the connector ends which were laying under the seat and I suspect got wet while the bike was parked in the rain.