Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: almost mugged and bike stolen

Ah, mace, unless you mean the spiked ball on a stick, it's generally a waste of time.

It's not something to be relied on.

Spent years teaching self-defence and always discourage people from depending on mace/pepper/etc.

Here's why.

It takes about 12 seconds to incapacitate which doesn't happen often. A lot of punches can be thrown in 12 seconds. Set up a stopwatch and start counting.

Outdoors, the wind better be on your side or you get the effects as well. If they're in range to spray, they're too close anyway.

Indoors, yep, you're going to get it too.

Access: same as with a gun, you're going to need it in your hand about the same time you realize you will need it. No baddy is going to wait for you to get it out of a rolled up jacket, your purse, under your bike's seat, or in the glove compartment over there.

The original poster did all the right things: he's alive; he's not defending a manslaughter charge; got the i.d.; and there's been an arrest. There's some valuable lessons there in everything he did.

I'm a huge Springfield Armory fan as well.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ooting31m.html
    http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/inde...an_killed.html
    http://www.wbir.com/video/7332546000...hed-carjacking
    http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._city_eng.html

I think I will take my chances with fumbling for my gun than dieing with out even trying. But like I said earlier im positive everyone here would have just ran like the op did.

Read the articles, still stuck on the same question as before: a gun would have helped, how?

Not questioning rights, questioning practicality.

I agree with your sentiments: I don't want to die a victim either. However, very few baddies are going to give their victim any opportunity to respond.

There's all sorts of stories like the ones posted above that would work out if there was a Hollywood ending. In real life, very few stories work out that well.

I would not put any negative slant on the OP "running".

Neither would I; about the op. Like I have said a few times, I would have done the same, as well as i believe everyone here would too.

I do however still maintain a gun is a tool, as is safety belts in a car, and a helmit on a bike. None of these things will guarentee safety, but to not use them is dumb, but I bet I can make an argument not to.

You see the difference with guns is; they cary with them a stigma... People think that surrounding all guns is uncontrollable mayhem, just waiting to be released.

I dont understand this mindset.

If you dont see how being armed would have saved some of those lives than there is probly nothing I could tell you that will. Which tells me alot about you. If you choose to keep to your convictions thats fine, more power to ya, but I feel we have reached the conclusion of our discussion. Good talk thow, many safe miles to ya

here was a bank in (Texas I believe) that had been robbed several times within a short time period. The bank manager/owner posted a sign that stated something along the lines of guns are welcome inside. Since the release of his gun welcoming he has not been robbed again. See sometimes just the possibility that a POS with bad intentions unknowing who or how many people maybe carrying is enough to prevent something bad from happening. Now, that same bank robber isn't going to go get a real job now, he is simply going to find another bank to rob, one that uses the law of no firearms permitted to help protect him.

My philosophy is: if more people supported gun rights and carried responsibly the low lives would have more risks to consider and crime just might drop a little.
    JMO

It would behoove us all if this thread could die now.:D

It would behoove us all if this thread could die now.
    a gun friendly discussion is not welcome in the general chat area??? Hmmm interesting; maybe your just not open to pro gun discussions???

I guess i just dont understand. I completely agree with ASH, an armed public is a well mannered public.

a gun friendly discussion is not welcome in the general chat area??? Hmmm interesting; maybe your just not open to pro gun discussions???
    Ok maybe I should not have used bold letters but I DID add a smiley face. And the comment was in good humor I thought. Not many folks I know who use the word behoove. :)

I'll rather not divulge my opinions further on the topic in which this thread has taken.

10-4 copy. Over and out

Ahhh no harm no foul... Humor is hard to convey on a forum, I will be on the lookout for those pesky eMOTOcons:p next time

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112