Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: almost mugged and bike stolen

Scary **** man. Glad your ok. Defiantly get a concealed weapons permit when your old enough!

I think you handled the situation well. Pulling a gun on someone who likely also has a gun is a surefire way to get your ass shot. In fact, people who carry are more likely to be shot and killed than people who don't.

Stay safe.

Stick a ninja sword down your jacket like Blade....Nobody messes with a guy with a sword handle comming out of his jacket.

Joking aside, good idea on taking them on a goose Chase and not fleeing home.

I carry, I wouldn't pull a gun on someone stealing my bike. but 3 ppl getting out of a jeep and kicking my ass....that's a different story.

Pulling a gun on someone who likely also has a gun is a surefire way to get your ass shot. In fact, people who carry are more likely to be shot and killed than people who don't.
    rep point from me to vroom. Very very very good response.
    I wouldn't pull a gun on someone stealing my bike
    :) Good good good.

Super Moderator
    Thank god there are some users here who understand that escalating the situation by drawing a firearm would probably have been a very, very poor idea. At the end of the day, a motorcycle isn't worth risking yours or taking a life. I'm really glad that you got away safely, but I can almost guarantee that someone would have been hurt had you stopped and drawn a firearm. You made the right choice (regardless of whether you were concealed carrying or not) by pursuing the non-violent approach as long as you possibly could.

Every time one of my friends who is an avid gun owner tells me that they would pull a gun on a bike thief, it makes me sad. A motorcycle, at the end of the day, is just an inanimate object. As much emotion as we attach to our relationships with these objects, there will always be other motorcycles. I keep a loaded shotgun in my closet (buckshot followed by slugs) because I live in a neighborhood that has a number of gangs, and fall asleep to the sound of sirens and gun shots every night. I wouldn't hesitate to use my training to draw the firearm if someone were threatening the safety of my wife or my dogs, but I certainly wouldn't draw it on someone who is trying to steal my motorcycle. That's what the police and insurance are for.

Thank god there are some users here who understand that escalating the situation by drawing a firearm would probably have been a very, very poor idea.
    Preach it from the rooftops. Preach on brother preach on.

Just a question? Now if you felt in danger for your life because 4 hoodlums are about to woop that ass would you not protect yourself? I feel that is what most were talking about. Yeah the bike is important, but these 4 guys were chasing him. I would hate to think what they would have done to him if he had been caught by them. Obviously they weren't just after the bike they were ready to do some bad ****. I agree 100% that it's not worth jail time over a damn bike. But if someone is "chasing" me that's a different story. Ride safe buellers.

Super Moderator
    The problem is that most people who do concealed carry have never completed any real training in operating their firearm under stress, which is often accompanied by training in how to assess a situation and determine the severity of the potential outcome should a firearm be drawn or not drawn. In many cases, fear or anger takes over, and what could have been handled without escalation ends poorly because an uneducated or emotional decision was made. In short, it's hard to say whether this situation warranted escalation, because I was not there and I do not know the intentions of these individuals.

If the attempt at an escape on motorcycle had failed (and again, I am very, very glad that it didn't), I probably would have left the motorcycle behind and fled on foot. Had I been pursued, which would clarify that the intention of those individuals was to hurt me, then, and only then, would I have drawn a concealed firearm to protect myself. In this case, I would have ascertained that the motorcycle was not the target, that I needed to protect myself at reasonable cost, and I would have drawn the individuals away from their vehicle, limiting their ability to retrieve any hidden weapons or pursue me at a high rate of speed.

^^^^thats what I was getting at. :D I agree 100%.

Good call octopus, I also have a concealed carry but Maryland sucks so I can't carry here. Either way I would only draw if I knew I was going to need to use it. Glade your ok but you need to file a police report for sure!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast