, retainer, detent, bearings, clutch, adjust, shifter, forward, blasting, putting, inspection, large, issues, transmission, finally, reassembly, managed, reassemble, warpage, force, coming, issue, angle" /> Primary case reassembly

Thread: Primary case reassembly

Well, I've finally managed to put together some time to reassemble after my transmission issues. Man, am I looking forward to blasting again.

I'm down to putting the primary cover back on (the large cover, not the inspection plate), but... it doesn't want to mate up all the way around - it seems to be coming in on an angle. I'm not sure what the issue is, and I don't want to force it.

I don't think the shifter is bent, nor can I see any warpage of the case or the cover. I would rather ask here than risk damaging it by simply using the bolts to torque it down.

How much easily should the primary cover mate up with the case? How much beating/forcing should this require? Any tips on getting this back on?

For those wondering, I had to replace the clutch, its bearings, re-align the shift pins, do a shift pawl adjust, all due to the shift detent plate retainer clip breaking. I also took the opportunity to replace the primary tensioner shoe. Took far too long to get the time together for this.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle! It takes a bit of wiggling to get it all lined up, but once it does, it should slide right on down. It does take a bit of force to get it past the shifter. make sure everthing is lined up correctly.

Disregard..

Wiggling doesn't seem to help - I think there's an alignment issue with the chain tensioner. It doesn't line up with the chain quite right, but its inserted all the way onto the spring.

Pushing on the assembly doesn't seem to seat the back end of the tensioner spring into its socket at all, and clearance in there is tight.

Any suggestions on getting the tensioner spring back into position? It doesn't seem to want to slide in, but I'll keep at it.

The manual states:

Primary Chain Adjuster
    1. See Figure 6-3. If shoe is badly worn, replace it.
    2. Install chain tensioner spring into shoe.
    3. Slide shoe onto pin.
    4. Tilt shoe upward until spring aligns with crankcase
    mounting hole.
    5. Tilt shoe downward under primary chain.
    6. Press shoe inward.
    7. Install primary cover.

So:

2. I slide the spring into the shoe.
    3. I slide the shoe onto the pin
    4. I can't tile the shoe upwards, since the chain is in the way. Now it's a matter of trying to torque the spring correctly to get it into its mounting hole.

I've been trying to use a pair of curved needle-nosed pliers, but its hell trying to get the spring to line up for the tip, let alone line up straight so the whole thing can slide in.

While I know there's an awful adult parallel, here (there might be too much lube), does anyone have any suggestions for lining it all up correctly? There's got to be an easier way!

There we go. What I had to do was take a 3/8th extension and come in diagonally behind the chain, then tap that with a hammer while pushing in on the shoe.

For posterity... i basically tapped the crankcase side of the tensioner spring counter-clockwise while pushing in on the shoe. Little by little, it lined up.

With the tensioner shoe properly installed and the tip of the kickstand spring ground down (it was pushing on the case before), the primary case cover went on perfectly. =)

All good, and I hope my trials save someone the bloody knuckles and frustrations I went through. =)

Good to hear you are good again. I have some tips in here that make getting the tensioner on easier:

http://buellridersonline.com/forum/s...nsmission.html