Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belgian Greetings & my first Ully '06 issues.

Hello fellow Buell'ers! ;)

Brand new to this forum, completely new to V-Twin bikes as well, so I might have a lot of (dumb?) questions in the near future, haha!
    Untill now I've always had smooth in line 4's. Honda, Kawi, Suz & Yam. So I had to learn how to drive between 3K and 5K rpm, lolz. I had to learn how to manage a hypersport-frame, with a 'lazy' VTwin underneath, and SuperMoto handling. Lucky for me, I'm 1m90, so getting on it is quiet easy. I even 'need' the tall seat to get realy comfy and have my knees wel clamped just behind the pucks. Fits like a glove. :)

Bought this sweet Orange Ully from my dad last year. He tought he might like the bike's 'sporty' touch. Condidering he always rode Road-Kings en Heritages...he wanted something different for his mid-life crisis. Drove about 6k in 6years...a real shame. So I took it! :) He's gone back to some CVO Super Touring Electra bimbambom.

Annywayz, my issue...
    Last night I came home, took the freeway. All runs well, like a dream. Stopped at the gas-station for my coffee & smoke. Odd thing...the fan didn't came on like it always does... It was a bit fresh, bit moist, and I drove real slowly.
    Getting back on the bike. Ignition, lights come & go as usual...but just a few seconds later the V-Twin light comes on (check engine).
    I started to pannic. Pulled over, killed the engine. Waited for 5"...
    Repeated the operation...but stil...check-engine comes on.
    I drove home really slowly, making sure not to rev up. Trying to listen to any 'weird' noise but nothing. Arai + eardplugs + 1200cc vibrating and ratteling... couldn't really notice anything unusual.

I've read that when this light comes on and stays on, it indicates a malfuntcion somewere and reduces poweroutput to avoid excessive heat & further damage. That's a nice feature.

I do know my way around a wrench or screwdriver, but I'm not a full technician either. (specially on US-bikes)
    Can a 'simple' malfunction of the fan (or its fuse) cause a check-engine signal?
    Can I test if my fan is stil functionning? (forcing it to come on in some way?)
    Is the bike dead and wil some good soul come and get if of my hands for 50bucks? ;p

For its specs:
    First Gen: '05 (sold 06) Ully
    FULL stock, 21k km (about 14k miles),
    never skipped a beat, never touched the ground.
    Fitted EBC brake pads, ContiRoad2 tires, new lightbulds (ones with whom I can actually see something ^^) and that's about it.
    Was thinking of getting her a K&N, Torquhammer or Jardine exhaust & ECM but...first I want this light to come of. ;p

Many thankx in advance for your time, and don't hesitate if y'all need more information.
    'd be glad to help you out as wel.

Greetings!

FeliXB12X - Stéphane - Belgium :D

Inactive
    these are very simple bikes stephane. the CEL check engine light does sometimes momentarily activate on our bikes for overly rich exhaust, slight glitch, things of that nature but then will go out upon restart and stay out. check your bike's ECM for any stored codes related to the CEL going on. a faulty fan will turn on the light but keep in mind the fan only activates when the ECM computer tells it to and it needs sufficient heat to do that. you might not have had the motor warm enough to even turn on fan.

Come to think of it...a few days ago, the fan DID made a horrible noise. Like some leafs or branches (maybe a mouse? :D) was stuck between the blades...
    Could be a bearing issue, or even 'something' blocking it? Aterworths it didn't made this anymore, tough.
    And when I ride the bike, the fan always comes on. When riding in traffic almost systematically, rarely on freeways, sometimes on B-roads. The 'loud-mode' never stays on very long. Max 10seconds. But the 'silent-mode' runs for a minute orso.
    That's why I'm a bit scared. It wasn't verry warm, and we did have a mild rain, but still having 25°C.
    Put the ignition on this afternoon, CEL came on after a few seconds.
    Two days ago I DID came home with heavy storm. 70km on the freeway, drenched with 5cm of water. Many thankx to them ContiAttacks ^^! Hope this couldn't have drenched any of the electrics?
    Are Ully's (or any Buell) sensible to 'heavy' rain.
    (heavy, like in: my waterproof boots have been drying for 48hours ^^, the INSIDE of my Arai was wet, cars where aquaplanning all over the place at 60km/h...I was perfectly stable at 90 though! :D)

Kinda worrying me. I'll check the fuses and wiring for any damage or moiste, tomorow. If the weather clears up.

In a meanhwile, thankx for your reply. If I can't fix it, I will have to find a Buell-expert around here.
    Almost no H-D dealer is willing to maintain Buells in Belgium. :(
    And 'my' mecanic doesn't know H-D engines either, so he wont perform to much on it. Altough he does magic with my Japs. :p

Cheers to all!

I would buy a cable and download ecmspy and check the codes.....

If the fan has oil on it the rear rocker box gasket is leaking oil. When the fan gets oil on it they usually fail.

Take a long ride to IJsselstein to the guys of Twin Motorcycles. As said in a different thread here, they are considered as very knowledgable at anything Buell.
    Bike Hospital in NL also a very good address to go to.

how to pull codes

Code No. Fault Condition
    11 Throttle position sensor
    13 Oxygen sensor
    14 Engine temperature sensor
    15 Intake air temperature sensor
    16 Battery voltage
    21 inter active muffler control
    23 Front fuel injector
    24 Front ignition coil
    25 Rear ignition coil
    26,27 clutch and neutral switch
    32 Rear fuel injector
    33 Fuel pump
    34 iac
    35 Tachometer
    36 fan voltage
    37,43 speed sensor
    44 Bank angle sensor
    45 side stand sensor
    46 start relay
    47 aux power outlets
    52, 53, 54, 55 ECM failure
    56 Cam sync failure

welcome to the forum

Well, went to check on the fuses: All OK.
    Checked the fan: turns easily, bonedry so the head cover gasket seems to be out of cause )

Could it be a temp-sensor somewhere? I suppose that would be the one on the rear cylinder...stil having me to unmount the whole engine to get there...?

Downloaded ECMSpy...but I'm affraid it wont be much of a use. Not having a laptop...can't see miself installing my case on the sidewalk :).
    I'll see if my mecanic knows the software, if he has Deuth-cables etc.
    I'll give him some links to ur useful DYI's, I'm sure he'll get the hang of it. :D
    Once we get the error codes, we'll know where to look.
    Otherwise I will have to plan a trip to TwinMotorcycles. It's 'only' 100miles away from Brussels. Lucky daddy has a bike-trailer. :)

Many thankx for all your replys and usefull tips!

Greetings!

Ok, some updates.
    Broke up a 4PIN connector I had laying around, managed to build some 'loop tool' and got the Error-code(s).
    36: Cooling fan. As suspected (and hoped for ^^)

If I read the manual correctly I could have 3 issues:
    - Dead fan, easy to test. will hook up a battery and see what happens. :D
    - Wiring issue. I'll get a geek (and good mecanic as wel) to follow the wiring-diagram and look for any flaws.
    - Dead or disfunctional Temp.sensor. Read it's a mess to get there, but we'll manage somehow.
    The troubleshoot goes to a dead ECM...but I'm hoping not to go down that line. ^^
    Does this more or less sum up what I'm expected to do? ;)

If you got any tips, I'm more than glad to hear from your experiences.

Greetings! Stephane

Small update on the simptoms:

Turn ingition on: CEL comes on for 2seconds. Shuts of...and remains off, now. :D
    Start engine. CEL remains of. After having ridden for a minute or 2, CEL is back on.
    (Fan still doesn't turn on while riding nor shutting her down when warm.)

Could this confirm or exclude any specific element?

Cheers to all!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast