Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Piston head install questions?

I am trying to install the piston heads in my 2003 XB9R. I have a few Piston ring compressors but neither seen to work for this motor. I can't spend $180.00 for the Harley tool. Is there a cheap one that works? I assume the one I need must be very thin and fairly low profile. For some reason I just can't figure out how to do it. I have installed heads on bikes and cars before but this one has me stumped.

idk what a piston head is? but if your just trying to get the cylinders to slide over the piston, i just used my fingers to compress the rings when i had to replace the base gasket

This is the set I have and it works well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piston-Ring-...eabbb0&vxp=mtr

It's cheap and is just right for the H-D style cylinders.

You could also install the pistons in the cylinders, leaving the bottom of the piston hanging below the bottom of the cylinder, and install the wrist pin and clip as you lower the assembly down.

I bought one from harbor freight that worked fine, I just got the pistons in the jugs before I attached them.

Still waiting for my piston ring compressor to arrive.
    I have another question, the service manual states that the ring end gap positions be staggered. Its shown on diagram 3-109 in the manual. It shows 4 positions. 1,5,7 and 11 o'clock.,
    Does this mean they also want me to stagger the 2 oil ring end gaps?
    Will I be able to install my pistons while they are still connected to the connecting rods because I never removed them when I split the block. I can't seem to wrap my head around how to install these pistons from the bottom of the head. In the past I have always installed them in the heads from the top and then connected them to the rods.
    Thanks in advance!

Considering the manual states the adjacent piston ring, I assumed this meant all rings. I had my 1st ring set at 1, 2nd at 7, top oil ring at 11, and lower oil at 5 o'clock.

Unless you have the specific HD piston ring compressor or any ring compressor that can be seperated, you not going to be able to install the pistons into cylinders from the bottom. The problem isn't whether you'll be able to install the pistons from below the but rather, being able to remove the piston ring compressor in order to lower the cylinders onto it's base. There is no way to remove it unless it seperates.

Here is picture of me using a standard piston ring compressor to install the piston into the cylinder first. Leave enough room for the wrist pin the clear the cylinder, then leave enough room the wrist pin to clear the connecting rod. Once you have your setup just like it is picture, you'll be able to install the whole assembly onto the connecting rod.

Remember to replace the wrist pin circlip. They are less then a $1 and should be stocked at your local HD dealership which is cheap insurance.

I have that exact compressor tool in the pic you posted. I also bought this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piston-Ring-...eabbb0&vxp=mtr

I can't get these darn pistons in cylinders. Neither of these tools will slip into the cylinders. What the heck am I doing wrong?

I'll try to take some step by step pictures of how to do it tomorrow with the setup you bought on ebay. That tool design allows you to install the piston on the connecting rod, compress the rings with the tool, and slide the cylinder just past the rings, remove the ring compressor, and push the cylinder the rest of the way down.

Inactive
    what liem and eric said. let gravity work for you during the install. either feed the pistons into the cylinders and run piece of tape or string across bottom of piston skirts to temporarily hold them in the cylinders during install...or install pistons and writst pins first and drop the cylinders GENTLY down onto the pistons. the case bolts will guide them. the rings move around constantly during running so just stagger them for initial install. get them close to manual suggested positions and they'll be fine.

Thanks for the replies. I used the tool I got on Ebay and this is what happens. I put the tool around the piston and compress the springs but when I try to slide the cylinder down onto the piston it stops when it hits the tool. It seems that the tool is too thick to go inbetween the cylinder and the piston. I removed the pistons from the rods and tried to do it normally but even then the compressors that I have seem too thick. As soon as the first piston ring hits the front edge of the cylinder it stops. I have used compressors before and they have always slid into the cylinder a little. Neither of these do. I spoke to 2 guys and they both told me I should be using the popsicle stick method? That can't be right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast