Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone doing Xb engine conversions?

.imo the harley engine is the only weak link in this bike and the only thing that is not buell.
    that is not opinion...that is fact. the harley part is the only part ive had trouble with on my bike. just cost me over $1k for the new trans/crank bearing/labor involved. and i brought just the lower end in to be worked on.

it would be very difficult to shoehorn a new engine in that frame though. its a pretty tight fit for the engine it has.

Hi anrkizm!~ in a way you're right...if they'd ever gotten the bugs worked out of the 1125, they were on to something. (AND improved those goofy nacelles!). The XB engine IS Sportster "based", but to say it's not Buell isnt really true either. Pretty much everything internally IS Buell specific. it's sort of like saying Jack Rousch's engines are just Ford's. I'm not saying the XB engine is the best engine design ever....we all know better! But again...Isn't this "character" why we like the Buell?! :D

*Roush's*

Just now seen your post Junkbone! (too busy working and typing!). I DO know....and to each his own really...thats part of it all...I don't HAVE to agree or disagree. I just DO believe and respect the Buell XB for what is...by far not perfect, but true to the American heritage it represents. (And yes-I know Showa's are Jap and the wheels are Chinese, lol-...but I believe you know what I'm saying!). I have a great respect for Erik Buell for doing what he has done, and continues to do. I am NOT very repectful to Harley for doing what they did, and they probably lost a many potential new customer. I myself would have probably bought a V-rod at some point....not so much now.

Wiggle2 I get what you're saying still you'd be hard pressed to find ANY vehicle that was 100% American made.
    I have often thought that it was kind of the next step in the Buell evolution to try to stick a V-rod engine in an XB frame. The V-rod engine makes more power than the XB engine but it would be a serious squeeze to get it in and still have the radiator fit. It would rock to see someone try it. I'd be seriously interested to see the result.

the 1130cc vrod engine was the original motor designed for the xb, ended up being too heavy and the bike would of been too long for erik's liking, seen it in an interview erik did about his old shop

I wish this would fit... Orca Turbo

Hi expatriate00!! You're absolutely correct! I can say with confidence, there IS no 100% American made vehicle out there! SOMETHING on any vehicle, no matter how obscure, comes from off-shore sources! If I'm not mistaken, Porsche was retained to help engineer the V-Rod engine? It sure IS a large heavy engine! STILL not sure WHY we can't seem to build a kick-ass engine in the States?! The NEW V-Max engine ROCKS, the Aprillia's are awesome! Yes..they're V-4's, but....! That is one of the many things that bugs me about Harley....they have the resources and technology to do it...but refuse. I realize their "core" group is hard core old school. I'm not saying they should abandon that...THAT is their "bread and butter"...but I'd like to see them expand their horizons some. That's why I was pretty excited to see the 1125 series!! But...they refuse...so be it!!

I have been thinking about putting a ktm lc8 out of the superduke 990 into my Buell the bikes seem to be fairly similar in size...... but other than that haven't done a lot of research on it. But that wont be for awhile as I just bought an 09 with only 1800 miles on it couldn't justify the cost of replacing such a new engine.:)

S+S,Actually has a sportster after market motor that is 100 inch that fits into a stock sportster.I considered geting one for my sportster project but its over 3000 dollars.Guys have rear wheeled over 140hp with it.But if you were trying to changing for more hp it would the easiest to make fit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast