Thread: "Loose sounding" engine

I know, such a n00b way of describing it. It's embarrassing coming here and feeling like a child describing this and having such little knowledge of my bike. I am quite mechanically inclined, but have absolutely zero motor experience, and even less experience working on my Buell. Trying to learn and get some experience and tricks under my belt so I can become a completely self-sufficient owner. Now, after the excuses...

My XB12r has always had a pretty "tight" sound and roar during revving and riding, but has become a bit loose-sounding. It's hard to describe, but hopefully some of you owners have experienced the same and can advise. I do want to get the sound back to that desirable roar, it's just lost its bite, but seemingly little-to-no HP. What I'm more concerned about, however, is that this is an indication of something more serious mechanically.

It's engine-specific, so it's not wind noise rattling a fairing or anything, noticeable during both idle and revs. Noticed a similar sound in my car after the motor was rebuild and the mechanic said he had to "tighten up the valves" or some such, though he totally screwed up the engine and it blew again, so I think he was just giving me a line.

Anyway, any advice, on how to resolve or how to better relate my issue?

Thanks in advance, ladies and gents :)

Hi justaerin! Well...not to worry! We're not all genius's on here! (Some guys come pretty close though, I believe!). The XB engine IS inheritally noisy....you've got 4 cams in there, all TRYING to go their own direction, 4 pushrods and rocker arms that are sitting up there on top. Are you riding with say...a different helmet, or the visor up? Anything different that would make it SEEM to sound different? I know...that seems too easy, but its a thought! After that, without really hearing it, the door is pretty wide open! Has it got a different exhaust than stock? Jardines need re- packed...especially if you have a lot of decell pop going on. A broken baffle in a stock type exhaust would make noise. I have no experience with the interactive exhaust valve...perhaps someone here could give you some pointers on that. (IF you're still running it...many aftermarket exhausts eliminate it). Sorry...not much help, but its the best I can do for now!!:)

"Loose sounding" engine
    Perhaps your engine is a whore???...

Just kidding, mines noisy as hell too.

A few more specifics about the bike can help us help you. Mileage, muffler, even a pic or 2. Like mentioned above about the Jardine mufflers....... They need upkeep to keep them together. If the packing is shot it could have obstructed the flow causing loss of power. Check your air cleaner also..... If its clogged then it could cause the bogging feeling due to lack of air into the motor. These are just a couple of ideas......

Hah, she was quite promiscuous before me, but has remained loyal as far as I know...

But nah I'm stock, but I think the gent before more reprogrammed. It came with an ECMSpy cable. She's at about 6,500 give or take a couple hundred. I've listened in my garage, out in the open, helmet on and off. Very good suggestions though, as that helmet and reflection from walls and whatnot can make a difference.

I've actually been considering an exhaust upgrade. I have the repair manual, I'll try to look into the air cleaner needing serviced. Thanks for the suggestions and being gentle on my motorcycle infancy and ignorance!

I'll try to record some audio of the thing too. It's almost a tinny rattling. So helpful, right?