Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I fail at wrenches

Success! I had to end up using two adjustable wrenches to get them off.

Now I just have to figure out what the hell to do with those two posts...

The plastic caps on the bar ends are just pushed in, friction fit. You will have to use pliers or something similar to squeeze and twist and remove them. They will get destroyed most likely.

The new bar end mirrors most likely will use an allen bolt head.

Cool, thanks snrusnak. Bought some allen wrenches today and now have an excuse to go buy some pliers. :D

No problem. I started buying tools as I could in high school, always bought good quality. Didn't necessarily buy the most expensive, but I bought stuff that had lifetime warranties(craftsman, snap on, kobalt, pittsburgh, etc.) and stuff that was durable enough for the job I was using it for. Make sure to keep receipts too! Put them in a folder and put it in your toolbox or nightstand or something. And remember that new receipts fade so make a photocopy of them and keep it with the original.

I'm now 25(IIRC lol) and I probably have more tools than most 70 year olds, and good quality tools. The only tools I really lack(as far as auto mechanics anyway) is specialty stuff for putting internals of engines together, and metal working tools. Just start buying them as you need them and don't buy junk as it'll just be a waste after a few uses. It sometimes sucks buying tools because they are expensive, but you will save a lot of money in the long run as long as you do work yourself. Also, buy sets not individual items, it's much cheaper that way. For example: $7 for 1 screwdriver, or $20 for a set of 15 screwdrivers....

All my tools take up most of my two car garage. I remember going on vacation one time and my wife was worried about locking the house up, and I was worried about securing the garage lol. Seriously though, I probably have way more money sitting in my garage than in my house(other than the house itself obviously). But if someone wiped out the contents of my garage I'd probably be out like $10k between all my tools.

Oh and if you ever need to buy another set of wrenches I highly recommend buying ratchet wrenches. That's something I really wish I had but I bought my wrenches before I knew of them(or maybe they weren't "invented" yet?). I can't currently justify spending hundreds of dollars on a set when I have a regular set that does the same thing basically....I wish I was a billionaire, I'd have a fun weekend at sears lol.

Your post in the yellow circle should not be there...it should be a hole right there if you removed the correct part. THat thing looks dangerous.

Just so happens I had a perfect picture to show you. Was meant to show my chopped and coated levers...

some peoples kids...

Thanks for the tool tips snrusnak - I'm doing pretty much what you suggested. Buying craftsman stuff as I need it. Since they have a lifetime warranty I figure it's worth the extra cash.

That post in yellow is just what was there after unscrewing the mirror... I'm assuming that thing probably comes out too but I haven't tried to remove it yet.

@SETH: I don't get it...

blacksmith, FYI there is another brand sold by sears called craftsman "evolve" or something like that. It is not made in the USA it is chinese I believe, and isn't quite as good of tools, but I will admit I have bought a few things of that brand. Still are good tools just not as good as regular craftsman. Also still has a lifetime warranty but you MUST have the receipt. They are like half the cost, I hate not buying the made in USA stuff but sometimes it's just too much $$$ at the time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast