Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Locking up your Bolt

I see a lot of people recommending that people lock up their bikes - is the stock "lock" position not enough to deter theft? My good friend just had his Aprilia stolen from his front yard, and while I keep mine garaged it's definitely got me considering...

If someone wants it bad enough, the bike will be stolen. You just gotta get something that will be enough of a deterrent based upon where you keep your bike and what kind of neighborhood you live in.

I bought a Xena XX6 disc lock and park my bike behind my car in my garage with the forks locked. For 80 bucks, that little alarm gives me a lot of piece of mind though... that's for sure (since I don't have theft insurance).

When I first bought the alarm, I was trying to take the battery tab out... and the damn thing went off... I'm surprised my ears didn't start bleeding. It is insanely loud.

It's somewhat easy to break an ignition lock.

I garage mine and use the ignition lock and use a disc lock(usually on the rear because of how I park my bike It's hard to get to the front rotor). I'd like to use a disc lock on both rotors but haven't got to that point yet.

Any more than that and IMO if they are that determined then they are going to get it no matter what. I think if someone broke into my garage, broke the ignition lock, and broke a disc lock, they'd break the second disc lock if I had one, etc...

The best deterrent is out of sight out of mind. I also have a target hanging in my garage in plain view so that when I have my garage open and random people drive by(that might be scoping things out) they can see how well I shoot :). And it could even be your neighbors that are scoping you out...

Some people don't agree with this attitude but I like to make it obvious and known that I have firearms. I don't use it to escalate a situation or use it as leverage, but I let people know I will defend myself and my property.

As far as when I'm out riding, I can almost always see the bike so usually just use the ignition lock(if that). If I leave the bike I'll put it as much of out of sight as possible, or in a very public area(seen by everyone). And I use the disc lock. Sometimes I'll put a cover on it too, people will be less likely to look because they don't know what's under it.

If you have to park it...well lit, high traffic areas. Some kind of alarm or disc lock helps. But like blacksmith said...it'll get gone if wanted bad enough. Luckily, I don't think Buells are a prime target...but still! I get anxious everytime I leave it unattended!

If someone wants your bike (or anything else) bad enough they are going to get it. I keep good insurance on mine. Locks just keep honest people honest.

You guys are absolutely right. I'm generally a fairly security-conscious guy, and I didn't know how unsecure the ignition lock was. This is my one and only vehicle so a disk lock is definitely in my future, especially with an alarm! Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm also a guy who likes to let it be known that I'm willing and able to defend my family, friends and property. I live in a 4-unit building with a shared garage, but everyone in there knows I'm a krav maga instructor and more than willing to ruin someone's day in the interest of justice and protection, though I'd say with the families in my building I'm more protective OF them than defending FROM them. That could always change though, better to be safe.

I also have a target hanging in my garage in plain view so that when I have my garage open and random people drive by(that might be scoping things out) they can see how well I shoot.
    It's all about deterrence.

Absolutely, show people that there are safer/easier targets if they look elsewhere.

We all love our guns! :D I conceal carry myself...i guess only a deterrent if high jacked. Lol but I know of a guy who used to ride his BSA up the stairs and park inside his 2nd floor apartment. That guy being my father...haha You could try that too...lol

I bought a Xena XX6 disc lock
    +1 on the Zena, I use it religiously ... I know they can still get the bike, but I just want to send the thief on to easier pickings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast