Thread: "Notchy" Front Brake

Hi Guys! (And girls..If there are any out there!).
    Over the weekend, My XB9SX developed an issue I've seen before, but I'm not sure what causes it. When you pull the front lever,it is like "notchy"...I've heard the term 'stiction' used already. I'm not talking like a rotor/pad issue here...it is the actual lever/master cylinder itself.My buddy's girl friend's V-Max is the same way...we bled the brakes,new DOT4 fluid, with no change. It sucks on the Buell...they used to be so nice and smooth! Its been crazy hot around here lately....I can't see that having anything to do with it, but thought I'd throw it out there. Someone on here just recently put a radial M/C from a Kawi' on theirs...I can't seem to find it now though. I'd prefer to get what i have working, but if it's not cost effective, I may do this conversion when I put my Renthal's on!

Well...I DID finally find the post on the radial cylinder. Appears it was Rhino1"s that I'd seen! Any ideas on the O.E. one though? I didn't call to see if there is a "service/rebuild kit" available.

Wiggle, yeah, I did it and the feel is, of course, awesome (radials provide better feel and power). But frankly, I never had an issue with the stock one. I'd definitely order a rebuild kit. You can probably order one from Hardly Ableson, or from ASB or anyone that sells Nissin brake stuff.

BTW, there is someone on here selling a nice complete radial kit for around $100 in the "parts for sale" section.

Found the link:

http://www.buellxb.com/Buells-for-Sa...thelmetsetc...

Thanks Rhino!! It's the weirdest thing...it just started doing this Saturday nite....it's sort of like a 'sticky' feeling? Always something, huh? (I mean that as life in general..not a bust on my Buell!). I think I'll run up tonite and see about a M/C kit and try it if they don't want a small fortune for one.

When the master cylinder gets old and the boot around the plunger gets dry rotted, old, or just plain dirty some of that dirty will sneak behind the boot and clog the plunger and bore, causing it to bind, stick, etc.

How many miles are on your bike(and MC)? Look at the boot, is it dirty, ripped, etc?

I rebuilt mine not long ago and it was very easy, and was the same as previous ones I'd rebuilt. You may not even need a rebuild kit(although for the price you might as well just get it, since it is a safety item). I don't remember but think I bought my rebuild kit from ASB. Really the only other thing you need to do other than take it apart, clean, and reassemble is to hone the bore. This time around I bought a hone but in the past I've used rolled up sandpaper and it worked fine.

If you want to rebuild yours and have questions let me know.

Hi snrusnak!
    Well...it could be an age thing, and with as hot as been around here lately?! Sitting in the sun, that M/C gets HOT! It's an '05 with 18k on it now. Like I say, out of the blue, i stopped for fuel, and it's like..."that felt weird!". It's been like that since! I think I'll try going over it I guess. Thanks for the input! I'll let you all know what I find and if I fixed it!

I don't think the heat really has anything to do with it. I think both the plunger and master cylinder are both aluminum, so would expand/contract at the same rate. I would bet some dirt got inside the plunger area and is keeping it from sliding freely.

Hopefully it is a "cheap" fix for now! It would make sense it is something as you describe! Perhaps one of the "o" rings are getting old...I do agree with your theory..I'll pull it apart one nite this week!