Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new tires... your opinions please

So I am getting new tires for my 2001 Buell X1, the following are some recommendations from my mechanic.

I ride agressive in the twisties and want to make sure I can just think about my riding and don't have to worry about my tires. At the same time I really don't want to have to replace tires every 2k lol. I also use my bike for an everyday rider and commuter, i prefer to ride over drive every time.

avon storms ultra 2
    $128 front (have heard that the sides wear off really quick on the front)
    $180 rear

Michelin
    pilot road 2
    $119 front
    $154 rear

pilot road 3
    $154 front
    $199 rear

Bridgestone (this is the setup he recommended first)
    Battlax BT-016 (for the front)
    Battlax BT-023-GT (for the rear)
    $124 front
    $179 rear

Must buy tires from him for him to install (charges 60 bucks to mount and balance), prices are just there to give you guys an idea of what they cost relative to each other.

Please share what you think/your experiences with these tires.

Thank you in advance for your help :)

I like the road2's, got em on my Uly, probly won't run any others

Do you do mainly touring or do you push them hard in the corners? how much life you get?

That seems to high for tires to me. Check out www.sportbiketrackgear.com they have good prices and review videos usually. I know you have to buy from him to get the 60, but even if he installs both for 100 and you pay 200 for tires your still coming out for the good. If you don't mind spending a little extra and supporting the local economy that's cool too I have the Dunlop Q2 and I like them. The Michelin 2CT are good tires too or you could go pures. I don't think any of those tires are on your list though:p

Not touring but commuting and weekend twisties, I can drag knee and never think about the tires, good in the wet too,got ~7k miles on em and the edges are noticeably more worn than the centers

GAXB9R:
    Yea, I know I can prob get them cheaper, but I am ok spending a little more to support this guy...

This guy has been working on bikes for i think around 30 years... reason he recommended these tires is because of a Buell being a twin and the back tire getting tore up in the center because of the torque when engine breaking... I have no experience with this because this is my second Buell (first was a blast) and I have never put a set of tires on them.

How good of life do you get out of your Q2?

uly luigi:
    Awesome thanks for the help :)

Only have about 2k on them now. Nothing to judge by and they are my first set. Some people love them and some hate them. I like them along with the pilot powers I had before. What kind of riding do you do? If you do more long stretch riding you will want to get a harder center tire, but they have them with the soft confidence inspiring sides as well. Tires are like women you like riding them at first but they get worn out and then you want to ride another at some point in time.

The Michelin Pilot Roads are an odd tire. Despite being 2CT, the center is no tougher than a standard pilot. Its just the sides that are stickier.

My normal riding is:

-riding to class and around town every day
    -hard rides through twisties on a little 10 mile road back and forth a few times (2-3 times a week)
    -160+ mile rides on weekends trying to find every strech of twisties possible
    -once a month or so 300 miles of riding round trip home and back on hwy

good to know thanks EmptyChambers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast