Thread: Odd problem....

So I took my bike out for a ride earlier this evening. I forgot to close the valve on my crankcase breather until I got to a gas station to fill up. So before filling up I reached down to close the valve. I filled up my tank and after closing it up I leaned over and realized that there was quite a bit of liquid coming out of my crankcase breather tube. So I swiped some with my finger and it smelled like gas. I compared it with the gas that I just put in my bike and it smelled identical. How does something like this happen and should I be worried? There wasn't a ton coming out but it was steady for a few seconds and then stopped. What happened?

I compared it with the gas that I just put in my bike and it smelled identical.
    Gas smelling like gas... Are you sure? This doesnt seem right..

Maybe I worded that wrong... I wasn't sure if the liquid coming from the tube was in fact gas, so comparing it's smell with what I filled up with, I found it was indeed gas. Now I'm not sure if this is just condensation mixed with a gassy smell or what, but I always open up the valve after I ride and then close it a couple hours later. I had gone for a ride earlier that morning and nothing like this happened. So I'm not sure what's wrong.

After doing some more reading it seems like I just overfilled my tank a little bit and came out the overfill line. Rookie mistake, considering I've had this bike for less than a month I was just worried since I hadn't had this problem with my old bike. Didn't know that line is what that's for, but now I do. Just me being paranoid! I'd like to keep this bike for quite some time down the line so I guess it doesn't hurt to ask questions.

It never hurts to ask, we're all a bit nooby sometimes :)

Inactive
    After doing some more reading it seems like I just overfilled my tank a little bit and came out the overfill line
    they'll do this every time. cool gasoline going into hot frame/tank in hot weather and expanding rapidly. and for what it's worth, my gas generally smells the same as my gas unless i've recently dined at taco bell.

That TacoBell gas is killer!!

Haha...you guys are great. Thanks again.