Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '04 12r wont start.

Hey gang, its been a while... Anyway, my '04 12r will not start. When I turn the ignition on the engine lihgt comes on, the fuel pump primes, but the oil light below has not been coming on. The engine cranks, and starter is strong, the motor just will not turn over.

The other day I pushed it up a hill and bump started it, and it turned over. Have not been able to get it started since then, not even with a bump... The battery has been hooked up to the charger so its strong too.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Rusty.

Hey been a while, try and check the Fuel Delivery and then the Firing of your Cylinders. Not sure of your Skills so here are some easy ways ro check. Just Remove the Spark Plug Wire boot off the[Rear Cylinder] and leave the Start/Kill switch off. Turn Engine over (key On) this will at least check the Coil for firing.
    You can always remove the Spark plug too but the tool is easier to use, so you can check for Spark from the coil then the Spark Plug test next. Then once you have done that Remove the Spark Plug, plug it into the Plug wire and ground the Spark Plug to the frame, by the Plugs Threads OR the Hex, and turn it over.That will also check for spark as long as nothing is wrong with the Spark Plug itself.
    Might want to get the Tool from Sears if you don't like getting shocked (or at least)get some gloves and hold the Wire while turning the Engine over by the Rubber Boot.
    Harbor Freight has a simple tool that is cost effective, just plugs right into the End where the Wire goes into the Spark Plug then just push the rubber boot on the Tool down on the Spark Plug. It will light up as you turn over the engine and you can run the Engine if Necessary with Tool Attached.
    You can then try and Start the Vehicle with Spark Plug installed.
    There is also the Ignition Module down on the Right Side of your Engine. But Start with the Small Things First!
    Start with the Basics first. The Fuel Then the Ignition Firing .Post up after you check those areas. Hope it is an easy fix. Also do you have ECMSpy for your bike?
    If Not you can also use the Data Port Plug on the Bike to short the 1st and 2nd pins(you will see the Numbers)sometimes inside the Data Port, some models are different, not many. Then count the Blinks. Take your time and check the Manuals here on the Forum.for extra information if needed. Good Luck.*Jimi

The engine cranks, and starter is strong, the motor just will not turn over.

You mean the engine turns over but will not start? I'm assuming this is what you mean. All you need to make a engine run is fuel, fire, and compression. With the track records of theses bikes I would check the plugs first. Good luck and keep use posted.

Inactive
    All you need to make a engine run is fuel, fire, and compression.
    you're missing one of them, rusty. if you can hear motor bumping up against compression when turning it over with starter it comes down to no spark and/or no fuel delivery. find out which, find out why, and it will run. do what stang said and at least pull the front plug (easiest) and see if it is fuel saturated. if so they both need replaced. go from there.

Hey guys, I pulled the plugs replaced them both and still wouldn't start. The bike was kind of so out respect for the poor nonstarting thing, I gave it wash. after the wash for ****s and grins I gave it try and it fired right up!!! What the hell? I rode it 80 miles, it ran strong and had no issues. The oil light was coming on again and everything... Maybe there was a lose connection, I don't know.

However, last night I think someone may have tried to steal the bike, and I have a rear disc lock that I always keep on the bike when parked. I found the lock split and the rear brake caliper was busted. The mount on the swingarm is also thrashed, and disc brake is bent! WTF???

Hi Rusty!!
    Well...THAT really sucks!! It's bad enough when we have issues just do to "normal" things, but it's really bad when you have to deal with all that!

Yeah Wiggle, it blows. Wish I had a place to just take it all apart and do some work to it. Crappy time of year to have the bike down too...

Wow what a thrashing I can't believe people. If you want one so bad get a job... insurance cover that? Better have a place for it tonight or now that the lock is off they will be back

You better be ready for them tonight!!

Little bastards...

At least the bike now turns over and looks nice n clean. A 2nd hand rear swing doesn't cost much and is easy to replace. The caliper is probably cheap too.

Get a nice heavy metal bar and wait for the pikey thief to come back and give em a beating for trespassing :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast