Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06 Xb12Ss Left me stranded

So a couple weeks ago I went out to start the bike and it wouldnt start due to a low charge battery. I charged the battery and had it tested and all was good. I also noticed the positive battery terminal was loose. So i charged the battery back up and connected everything tightly and rode for a couple weeks and a few hundred miles just fine. On the ride this weekend after about a 50 mile ride my system management light came on and shortly after i lost power to my gauges. Within a mile of that the bike started spitting and sputtering and eventually shut off due to a low battery. I jumped it off and rode for about a mile and it did the same thing. I halued it home charged the battery and had it tested at two different places and it tested good. I started the bike with the battery in and at idle it was above 13v and when revving it was above 14v. I also checked resistance in the 77 connector and got 0. Any ideas on what the cause may be? My next idea is to test the stator bit I wanted to get others opinions.

Chassis ground?

It wont charge without it. Once your battery is gone youll be dead in the water

That ground seemed good. It was good and tight.

Greetings i am friend of mattdamobster my background is in the 300zx and not so much in bikes but we need to nail this problem down so we can ride.

Voltage seemed to raise correctly upon reving etc. One of my theories is the AGM battery not accepting the charge. I have never had luck with these types of batteries personally

Is it possible for the regulator or stator to have dead spot or be intermittent at certain rpms

Basic question: How old is the battery?

Reason: they age. Don't know Matt's riding habits but too many people use these bikes for short commutes. Battery is draining more than it is charging, wears out battery faster.

Might want to check connections to make sure they are clean and have full contact but you've probably already checked that.

No 100 percent but no more than one year old.

All connections are completely free of corrosion and secured properly

Ok, so we did a resistance test across connector 46 and all was .1 ohms. So the stator should be fine. Also I connected the ecmspy cable and watched voltage. While running the voltage was between 13.7-13.9 and at 2000 rpm it was 14.2-14.5. This is making no sense. But I take lots of 50+ mile rides so this bothers me.

Any other ideas?

My brothers R1 was doing the same thing. Every time we brought it home, charged the battery, it would show as charging. Turned out the stator wasn't charging once the bike got hot. I don't know if this is a possibility on these bikes, but have you checked things once the bike is warmed up and hot?

Not really. And people keep mentioning heat being a factor. I just need to know which is the problem. The stator or voltage reg. Any other tricks to check the stator?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast