Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tranny oil, motor oil, primary oil... Now im confused...

So, short story long...

Were riding along whit my friend, that is "harley for life" type of guy... Later on when we were sitting on sauna, he asked if my buells tranny sounds loud. and recomended trying redline oils. Told that they made the tranny much quieter and smoother on his sportster.

So, yesterday i was shopping on local automotive shop for the usual revtech oil, when i remembered the conversation of the redline. Immediatly moved few shelfrows forward to redline section, and then it hit me.

So far, ive been in faith that the buell has only 2 oils. One for the engine, and one for the primary & tranny combined.

but, on the redline section i found out:

- 20W50HD motorcycle oil
    - V-Twin primary case oil for big twin, EVO and dual cam
    - V-Twin transmission oil for all trannys, including evo, big twin and the latest 6 speed cruise drives.

You see where i get confused?

You can use 20-50w in both engine/tranny.

2.5-engine
    1-primary

Standby for lesley.

don't get confused. there is only 2 places to add oil. the swing arm for the motor and primary. that is just another example of a manufacturer changing the name on the bottle so he can charge a different price or market to a different customer. just run a 20w50 in both spots.

Standby for lesley.
    20/50 both holes.

And please please for the love of God do not use a torque wrench on either drain plug. Tighten by hand. And do NOT oevrtighten. after oil change ride it 10 miles and check your drain plugs if you think they'll losen up.

20/50 both holes. V-twin specific is fine. But really you can use any 20/50. If you do not use synthetic change the oil without fail every three thousand miles. And prime your new oil filter (add a few ounces to the filter itself.) half full is fine.

like they said ^

engine(20w50) ~2.5 qt
    primary = transmission(20w50) ~1 qt

Yup everything above.

And use AMSOIL!

http://www.buellxb.com/Buells-for-Sa...Sale/FS-AMSOIL

Hi Lesley!!
    Just curious if you have the torque spec for my drain plugs!! HA! HA! just playin'!! I sure could have had some input the other nite! I put my new clutch cable on...took it out for about a 6 mile thrash,stopped,had some ice-cream, and it looked and worked good. I was on my way back, and I thought it seemed a bit squirrely..I got back to the shop, was taking my gear off, and noticed a drip on the floor. I started looking around...here the threaded "stud" part that goes into the primary cover had snapped off and it was leaking oil pretty bad!! I sure got lucky!! The back wheel had oil all over it!! I swear when I put that cable on, that I didn't make it TOO tight! But when I put the one on last nite, I just took it up against and just a TINY bit more!

I put in redline 20w50 for the engine and the redline v-twin primary oil for the primary/tranny. Runs Good! At the place I bought it from, the guy told me BUELL marketed the use of one oil for both holes as a easy maintenance thing, but it's recommend to use a primary specific oil...dude coulda been blowin smoke. BUT...it sure does run pretty smooth with that stuff in it. IMO, use a quality, proper viscosity oil and you'll be fine. Especially with primary oil, some of the gear oils out there eat up and gunk up the stator and clutch plates. If it's not designed for wet clutch operation, I'd say Don't Use it! That's my 2ยข anyway.

Inactive
    If it's not designed for wet clutch operation, I'd say Don't Use it!
    bingo :D

I love that you brought up the wet clutch topic. I would say that is the number one problem I hear from people who use a brand of oil they hear rave reviews about, and have bad results with. For example, Royal Purple sells a 20w50 for autos and a separate 20w50 for motos. Your Buell manual will even tell you in a round about way that the motorcycle needs a diff kind of oil than what goes in a car. It suggests Diesel oil of no other replacement is available to be exact I think.
    Just make sure your using wet clutch spec oils.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast