Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rough idle every time I start it

Me again. Let me throw out the issues I have experienced on my 08 XB12STT, perhaps some of you can nudge me in the right direction.
    1. Dead gauges during a ride. Key off/on again and all good.
    2. Fan coming on during a ride. Ambient a cool 75. RPM between 2500-3500 most of the ride.
    3. Misfire under acceleration over 3500 RPM. Bike runs like a dog.
    4. Changed spark plugs and spark leads, no difference.
    5. Take to HD who says I need a new TPS. Fitted, TPS reset, and all perfect for 150 miles.
    6. Misfire under acceleration back. Back to HD who now say it is leaking intake seals because AFV jumps between 80 and 140. Changed seals, no change. Idle rough between 500 and 1000 RPM with the occasional pop through intake.
    Now I figure I must have a bum ECM but the guys from EBR and Tuniversity do not think so. They both say that poor idling or misfire is unlikely related to the mapping. Any ideas, please!

sounds like an injector leaking down.
    Can you elaborate more on this?

I got the Bike back and now, it starts and turns right back off, gotta feather the throttle the throttle for about 5 mins and then she idles enough not to stall, If I feather for 10 mins or start riding it (getting it warm) It runs perfect. If I turn it off for 5 mins I gotta start all over again.

HD techs say its a bad ground...

maybe the ecm?

My XB12R was doing the same thing... After sitting for a full riding season... I took it to My dad and he poured Marvels Mystery oil in to the throttle body one drop at a time while I held the throttle open at a steady 2000 rpms. It blew white smoke out of the exausht with every drop. After a total of 12 ounces of Marvels we let it sit for 2 hours.. Then we started it and let it idle for 15 minutes and my issue was solved. However my buddy's xb9r did this and the marvels didn't help... But we double wrapped the spark plug wires with black electrical tape and it solved his issue... I know it sounds weird but that has been my experience with these machines struggling with low idles.. Hope this helps someone.. Easy riding Gents... P.S add a few ounces of Marvels Mystery oil to every oil change. I swear it's good stuff and will keep your motor clean and efficient... My dad has made me a believer. The stuff works miracles

Seafoam works miracles too.
    Not as mysterious
    But definitely miraculous

I like Berrysmans Chemtool , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plAu-vvEctM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123