Thread: Wheel rear removal without caliper removal

Hey guys took my back tire off today had a pin hole... Just noticed alot off posts say to remove brake caliper, right foot peg, and heel guard. This is not required...take off lower belt guard, pinch screw, and pulley guard. Loosen axle, belt tension will decrease then remove tension pulley 9/16 and slip belt off now your ready to remove rear axle. I ratchet strapped mine to floor joist from rear swing arm so tire rolled right out. Took five maybe ten minutes. Here is a link to my YouTube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EqR_...e_gdata_player

yep you don't need to pull caliper. just be careful when putting tire back on. make sure rotor is in line when sliding back between pads.

I don't pull the pulley either, it is not necessary.

good vid thow

Never heard about removing anything to remove the rear tire/rim. (Never really looked)

I just put the bike on my swing arm stand, remove the pinch bolt then remove the axle. Now the tire will roll forward enough to get the belt off and then drop down/out of the caliper.

Ya hardest part about it was finding a bolt to fit the axle I had to go to fastenal. I have it back on already to alignment needed that's sweet. 06 xbss I'm gonna get black pwdr coat I'll try it again without removal of pulley next time thanks.

Not sure if any knows it but if you have the little kit that comes with the bike there is an axle tool inside looks like two brass nuts welded together instead of hunting for a bolt an welding a nut on the end.

Pulley doesn't have to be removed but it really makes the job easier. Loosen the belt, remove pulley: install pulley, tighten belt.

I had a shop make up another axle tool for home. I like separate tool kits so they don't get out of place.